J. J. Thomson and the Bohr atom
- Niels Bohr, the man. Wheeler, John Archibals // Physics Today;Oct85, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p66
Focuses on the contributions of physicist Neils Bohr on quantum theory. Establishment of physics institute; Idea on the atomic stability theory; Views on complementarity.
- Classics. // Resonance: Journal of Science Education;Nov2011, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p1071
The article discusses the scattering of Î± and Î² particles considering the matter and the structure of an atom. It explores the scattering theory of Sir J. J. Thompson which explains the scattering of an electrified particles while passing in the small thickness of matter. It features...
- Bohr's first theories of the atom. Heilbron, John L. // Physics Today;Oct85, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p28
Focuses on the contribution of physicist Neils Bohr on the theory of atoms. Invention of matrix mechanics; Influence of Paul Langevin on the theory of magnetism; Equation on the theory of atomic structures.
- History: The path to the quantum atom. Heilbron, John L. // Nature;6/6/2013, Vol. 498 Issue 7452, p27
A review of the article "Love, Literature, and the Quantum Atom: Niels Bohr's 1913 Trilogy Revisited" by F. Aaserud and J.L. Heilbron which appeared in a 2013 issue of a periodical.
- Neon behind the signs. Grandinetti, Felice // Nature Chemistry;May2013, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p438
The article offers information on neon, one of the noble gases tha exists as a component of air. It mentions that J. J. Thompson discovers isotopes of a stable element by deducing the presence of neon atoms with different atomic masses. It adds that neon has occupied p orbitals which are thought...
- On the Discovery of the Atomic Nucleus. Nagamiya, Shoji // AAPPS Bulletin;Oct2012, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p4
The article discusses the discovery of the atomic nucleus. It mentions two different models for its description such as the watermelon model and a solar system like model which were proposed respectively by physicists J. J. Thompson and E. Rutherford. It notes that Thompson's model posited...
- Bohr. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p45
A profile of Danish physicist Niels Henrik David Bohr is presented. Bohr, who investigated atomic structure and radiation, discovered that electrons orbit the nucleus of an atom at set distances, changing levels only when energy is lost or gained, and emitting or absorbing radiation in the...
- Resisting the Bohr Atom: The Early British Opposition. Kragh, Helge // Physics in Perspective;Mar2011, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p4
When Niels Bohr's theory of atomic structure appeared in the summer and fall of 1913, it quickly attracted attention among British physicists. While some of the attention was supportive, others was critical. I consider the opposition to Bohr's theory from 1913 to about 1915, including attempts...
- The life and work of Niels Bohr â€” A brief sketch. Mukunda, N. // Resonance: Journal of Science Education;Oct2013, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p877
The life and work of Niels Bohr are briefly reviewed covering: his family life, background, and education; the importance of his stay in England after PhD, and the crucial contact with Rutherford; the period of the Old Quantum Theory initiated by his work on atomic structure; and his role as...