Repair of Complex and Avascular Meniscal Tears and Meniscal Transplantation
- EDUCATION PRACTICE. Management of degenerative meniscal tears and the role of surgery. Buchbinder, Rachelle; Harris, Ian A.; Sprowson, Andrew // BMJ: British Medical Journal;6/6/2015, Vol. 350 Issue 8011, ph2212
The article discusses the need to review the best evidence based management of degenerative meniscal tears and to reconsider the role of surgery. Topics include classification of meniscal tears including traumatic and non-traumatic, the prevalence of degenerative meniscal tears in people over...
- Polyurethane scaffold promotes meniscal regeneration at 2-year follow-up. Meermans, Geert; Craven, Jeff // Orthopaedics Today Europe;2012, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p11
The article looks at the clinical study presented by Giulio M. Marcheggiani Muccioli proving that Actifit polyurethane scaffold enables restoration of medial and lateral menisci.
- The Save the Meniscus Society. Commentary on an article by Jeffrey J. Nepple, MD, et al.: ''Meniscal Repair Outcomes at Greater Than Five Years. A Systematic Literature Review and Meta-Analysis'' Vidal, Armando F. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;12/19/2012, Vol. 94-A Issue 24, pe186
The author evaluates the article "Meniscal Repair Outcomes at Greater Than Five Years: A Systematic Literature Review and Meta-Analysis," by Jeffrey J. Nepple, Warren R. Dunn, and Rick W. Wright, from the December 19, 2012 issue of the journal.
- Treatment of Meniscal Tear. Buchbinder, Rachelle; Harris, Ian // Annals of Internal Medicine;10/18/2016, Vol. 165 Issue 8, p602
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Treatment of meniscal tear: the more we learn, the less we know" by J. N. Katz in the previous issue.
- Treatment of Meniscal Tear. Katz, Jeffrey N.; Jones, Morgan H. // Annals of Internal Medicine;10/18/2016, Vol. 165 Issue 8, p603
A response from the author of the article "Treatment of meniscal tear: the more we learn, the less we know" in the previous issue is presented.
- Meniscal replacement shows promise for managing meniscectomy's downsides. Rapp, Susan M. // Orthopedics Today;Apr2011, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p52
The article looks at the claim of orthopedic surgeon Peter R. Kurzweil that meniscal replacement devices, such as Regeneration Biologics' Menaflex and Orteq's Actifit, could help preserve the meniscus following a tear or meniscectomy.
- Knee Surgery No-No? // Running & FitNews;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p4
The article reports on the findings of a study published in the "Canadian Medical Association Journal" comparing the benefits between arthroscopic surgery and nonoperative treatments. The analysis of over 800 patients with degenerative meniscal tears without osteoarthritis showed that...
- For Patients With Meniscus Tear, Exercise Therapy Outperforms Surgery in Key Muscle Strength Measure. // PT in Motion;Feb2015, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p66
The article discusses the beneficial effects of exercise therapy in middle-aged patients with degenerative meniscus tear to improve the key muscle strength measure.
- Financings roundup. // Medical Device Daily;4/19/2013, Vol. 17 Issue 74, p3
The article reports that a 500,000 U.S. dollar investment was made by Foundation Ventures to finance the development of the Meniscofix biodegradable polymer scaffold for meniscus therapy by NovoPedics.