Becoming a vegetarian: The risks and the benefits
- Is a vegetarian diet healthy for kids? Labson, Lucy H. // Patient Care for the Nurse Practitioner;Mar2000, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p61
Explores whether a vegetarian diet can satisfy the nutritional needs of children and teenagers. Why teenagers in the United States adopt a vegetarian lifestyle; Health benefits of vegetarianism; Nutrients which vegetarians must consume to complement their diet.
- Keeping teenage vegetarians healthy and in the know. Belamarich, Peter F.; Ayoob, Keith Thomas // Contemporary Pediatrics;Oct2001, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p89
Discusses the health and nutritional aspects of teenage vegetarianism. Pre valance of teenage vegetarianism; Health benefits posed by vegetarianism; Methods to study the nutritional adequacy of the diet of vegetarian teenagers; Nutritional deficits caused by vegetarianism.
- The well-balanced meal. Cheney, Susan Jane // Vegetarian Times;Mar94, Issue 199, p96
Gives advice in putting together a balanced vegetarian diet. Sources of carbohydrates; Protein from vegetables; Substitutes for fat; Calcium from non-dairy foods; Non-animal sources of iron; Plant sources of B12; Recipes.
- Media bloopers. O'Connor, Amy // Vegetarian Times;Jul96, Issue 227, p20
Reports on an article in the April 1996 issue of `Let's Live' magazine which suggests that vegetarian mothers are at risk for having children with birth defects. Clarification from experts that vehemently disagree with the article of Carla Cassata.
- Ring in the veg year! Marandino, Cristin // Vegetarian Times;Jan99, Issue 257, p24
Presents tips for a vegetarian living. Information on several vegetables; Information about tofu preparation; Suggested exercises.
- More teens say `pass the salad'. Wang, Angela // Christian Science Monitor;9/19/96, Vol. 88 Issue 207, p15
Reports on the increase in number of teenager vegetarians in the United States. Reasons for the increase in teenagers who give up eating meat; Sex differences in teenage vegetarianism. INSET: Green and White Lasagna..
- The ADA and Dietitians of Canada Publish a New Position Paper on Vegetarian Diets. Mangels, Reed // Vegetarian Journal;2003, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p12
Announces the American Dietetic Association (ADA) and the Dietitians of Canada's (DC) publication of their updated position on vegetarian diets in the June 2003 'Journal of the American Dietetic Association.' Topics covered by the position paper.
- New Vegetarian Food Guide. Mangels, Reed // Vegetarian Journal;2003, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p12
Cites the American Dietetic Association (ADA) and the Dietitians of Canada's (DC) issuance of a food guide for vegetarians, which accompanies their updated position on vegetarian diets published in the June 2003 'Journal of the American Dietetic Association.' Coverage of a wide variety of foods...
- Are you a faux vegetarian? Houck, Catherine // Cosmopolitan;Sep95, Vol. 219 Issue 3, p88
Reports on the vegetarian population in the United States. Percentage of the population that are true vegetarians; Health benefits of being a `semi' vegetarian; Kinds of food that are sources of iron and zinc.