Tobacco Importers File Lawsuit Against Attorneys General
- Russian Case Next on List of Foreign Suits Against Tobacco. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;09/18/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30977, p4
Reports the lawsuit filed by Russia against tobacco companies in the United States regarding tobacco settlement securitization. Details on charges of the suit; Enumeration of other lawsuits filed against US tobacco companies; Effect of litigation on financial operations.
- Legal imaginations stretching liability to unreasonable limits. Kirsch, Michael // Crain's Cleveland Business;07/12/99, Vol. 20 Issue 28, p11
Focuses on lawsuits related to tobacco liability for second hand smoke in the United States. Decision of a Mississippi jury against a barber; Creative liability theory.
- Passing the megabucks. // New Scientist;06/28/97, Vol. 154 Issue 2088, p3
Editorial. Ponders on the laxity of the settlement agreed upon by the United States government and the nation's tobacco industry to pay for the treatment of illnesses caused by smoking, to settle lawsuits against the industry and to fund anti-smoking campaigns. Spreading of payments over the...
- Ifs, ands, or butts of tobacco settlement. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;4/21/97, Vol. 89 Issue 101, p4
Presents information on the lawsuit brought against tobacco companies Philip Morris, RJR Nabisco, Lorillard and Brown and Williamson, by 23 states in America, for the cost of medical care to smokers. Reference to William Novelli of the Washington-based Center for Tobacco Free Kids, one of the...
- Big Tobacco after biggest jury award. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;7/17/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 164, p1
Reports on litigation in the United States involving individuals and classes of people against the tobacco industry.
- Fighting big tobacco. // Current Events;10/22/99, Vol. 99 Issue 7, p2
Reports a news cartoon about the lawsuit filed by the United States Justice Department against the country's major tobacco companies.
- Government-backed suits face uncertain future: Panel. Hofmann, Mark A. // Business Insurance;07/05/99, Vol. 33 Issue 27, p2
Reports that speakers in a discussion at the United States Chamber of Commerce warned of the uncertain future of government-sponsored liability litigation against tobacco firms. Governments' suing of industries' other industries for the recovery of funds for damage; Necessity of the proposed...
- Federal lawsuit is an affront to businesses. Pinkus, David // Fort Worth Business Press;10/22/99, Vol. 12 Issue 26, p25
Criticizes the United States federal government's policy towards the tobacco industry. Impact of the government's lawsuit against the tobacco firms on small businesses and taxpayers; Implications of driving down legal sales of tobacco on the industry and businesses.
- Taking aim. Lentz, Rebecca // Modern Physician;01/29/2001, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p36
Offers a look at lawsuits filed by state attorneys general against insurance companies in the United States (U.S.). Claims of Attorney General Richard Blumenthal against insurance companies in Connecticut; Origin of attorney general-led lawsuits in the U.S.; Why attorneys general file lawsuits...