Are we doing enough? Evaluation of the Polio Eradication Initiative in a district of Pakistan's Punjab province: a LQAS study
- Polio's Last Mile. Trivedi, Bijal P. // National Geographic;Oct2003, Vol. 204 Issue 4, preceding p1
Polio was meant to be eradicated by 2002. That's what health officials hoped would be the result of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, launched in 1988. Although aggressive vaccination programs to protect children have cut an annual 350,000 polio cases worldwide to fewer than 2,000 in...
- Global Polio Eradication Initiative justified. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;12/15/2010, Issue 619, p8
The article discusses research on the economic effect of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, which references a study by Kimberly Thompson and colleagues published in the November 22, 2010 issue of "Media Release."
- Salk vaccine. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2065
An encyclopedia entry for "Salk vaccine," which refers to the first successful vaccine against poliomyelitis, is presented.
- Re-emergence of Wild Polio Virus in East Mediterranean Region: A Threat to World Polio Eradication Program Initiatives? Bedi, Neeraj // International Journal of Preventive Medicine;Jun2014, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p802
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article regarding the re-emergence of wild polio virus in the East Mediterranean region.
- EdMail. Naeem, Lala Rukh; Ahmed, M. // Technology Times;10/27/2014, Vol. 5 Issue 43, p2
The article reports on the use of technology tools to control polio in Pakistan.
- Bivalent polio vaccine shows promise with pocket outbreaks. // Infectious Diseases in Children;May2011, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p22
This article discusses the effectiveness of the rapid introduction of the bivalent polio vaccine in mitigating pocket outbreaks of polio.
- The last 1%. // Nature Reviews Microbiology;Apr2012, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p235
The campaign to eradicate polio has achieved a 99% decrease in the number of polio cases worldwide, but the remaining 1% is the most important.
- IAP Recommendations on Polio Eradication and Improvement of Routine Immunization. Sutter, Roland W.; Jafari, Hamid; Aylward, Bruce // Indian Pediatrics;May2008, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p353
The author reflects on the recommendations of the 2nd National Consultative Meeting of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) on Polio Eradication and Routine Immunization, which address the proposed modifications to the strategies to achieve polio eradication. He discusses the status of polio...
- Progress Toward Poliomyelitis Eradication -- Pakistan and Afghanistan, January 2006-February 2007. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;4/13/2007, Vol. 56 Issue 14, p340
The article focuses on a report that describes polio case and eradication activities in Pakistan and Afghanistan from January 2006 to February 2007. In 2006, Pakistan performed 12 supplemental immunization activities (SIA) in partnership with Afghanistan. It is reported that SIA in both...