Acculturation and self-reported health among Hispanics using a socio-behavioral model: the North Texas Healthy Heart Study
- Physical Activity of Urban Community-Dwelling Older Latino Adults. Marquez, David X.; Hoyem, Ruby; Fogg, Louis; Bustamante, Eduardo E.; Staffileno, Beth; Wilbur, JoEllen // Journal of Physical Activity & Health;Sep2011 Supplement 2, Vol. 8, pS161
Background: To date, little is known about the physical activity (PA) levels and commonly reported modes of PA of older Latinos, and this information is critical to developing interventions for this population. The purpose of the current study was to examine PA assessed by self-report and...
- Evolution, mobility, and ethnic group formation. Goetz, David // Politics & the Life Sciences;Mar98, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p59
Presents an article which attempts to contribute to the improved understanding of ethnic group formation and change, with emphasis on functional advantages and social group formation. Methods used to explore the evolved psychology of humans; Reference to studies conducted on ethnic group behavior.
- Influence of Maternal Glucose Level on Ethnic Differences in Birth Weight and Pregnancy Outcome. Scholl, Theresa O.; Chen, Xinhua; Gaughan, Christina; Smith, Woollcott K. // American Journal of Epidemiology;Sep2002, Vol. 156 Issue 6, p498
Minority ethnicity increases the risk of a poor pregnancy outcome in the United States. The mechanism(s) whereby this occurs is unknown. One possibility is physiologic variation in levels of maternal glucose, the major substrate for fetal growth, which is metabolized from the maternal diet and...
- Self-Rated Health and Race Among Hispanic and Non-Hispanic Adults. Borrell, Luisa N.; Dallo, Florence J. // Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health;Jun2008, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p229
Objective To investigate the association between race and self-rated health among Hispanics and non-Hispanics using data from the National Health Interview Survey 2000â€“2003. Methods This analysis was limited to Hispanic and non-Hispanic whites and blacks â‰¥18 years of age. The...
- Geospatial Characteristics of the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program: Reaching Diverse Ethnic Populations in San Antonio, Texas. Salazar, Camerino I.; Smith, Matthew Lee; Perez, Adriana G.; Ahn, Sang-Nam; Ory, Marcia G. // Texas Public Health Journal;Winter2011, Vol. 63 Issue 1, p16
No abstract available.
- Race and Health Disparities in Adults With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Living in the United States. Scott, Haleigh M.; Havercamp, Susan M. // Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities;Dec2014, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p409
Research has documented disparities in health care and access for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) and people in racial and ethnic minority groups. Though both populations are underserved, the additive impact of being both a member of a racial/ethnic minority and...
- Odontometry and Biological Affinity in South Asia: Analysis of Three Ethnic Groups from Northwest India. Lukacs, John R.; Hemphill, Brian E. // Human Biology;Apr93, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p279
Current knowledge of odontometric variation among the people of south Asia is limited, yet variation in tooth size has the potential to answer important questions regarding genetic relationships among contemporary social groups. Here, we report tooth crown diameters for 3 ethnic groups (Bhils,...
- SOCIAL AND ETHNIC GROUPS AT THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE FIRST ISLAMIC STATE: PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS. ALSHUNYBER, KHALED MOHAMMED // NAAAS & Affiliates Conference Monographs;2013, p1165
The article examines the problems and solutions in the social and ethnic groups at the establishment of the first Islamic state.
- Comparing High and Low Acculturated Mothers and Physical Activity in Hispanic Children. Olvera, Norma; Smith, Dennis W.; Chanam Lee; Jian Liu; Jay Lee; Jun-Hyun Kim; Kellam, Stephanie F. // Journal of Physical Activity & Health;Sep2011 Supplement 2, Vol. 8, pS206
Background: Parents represent a key ecological component in influencing their child's physical activity. The aim of this exploratory study was to assess the relationship between maternal acculturation and physical activity in Hispanic children. Methods: 102 Hispanic mothers (mean age 36.2 yrs;...