Statins in the Treatment of Dyslipidemia in the Presence of Elevated Liver Aminotransferase Levels: A Therapeutic Dilemma
- Graded relationship demonstrated between statins' effects on mortality and patients' coronary heart disease risk. Mehta, J. L.; Bursac, Z.; Hauer-Jensen, M.; Fort, C.; Fink, L. M. // Formulary;Jan2007, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p33
The article presents an observational study on the risk factor of using a statin and the effects in the mortality risk of patients with coronary heart disease (CHD). The researchers observed that patients taking a statin were significantly less likely to die than patients not taking a statin....
- Clinical briefs. // New Zealand Doctor;6/6/2007, p25
The article offers information on several clinical studies. A research from Cambridge found that a single infusion of zoledronate can prevent bone loss for patients who have suffered a stroke. A Canadian study found that adherence to statins can lessen non-fatal coronary artery disease events...
- Effectiveness and efficiency of different guidelines on statin treatment for preventing deaths from coronary heart disease: modelling study. Manuel, Douglas G.; Kwong, Kelvin; Tanuseputro, Peter; Lim, Jenny; Mustard, Cameron A.; Anderson, Geoffrey M.; Ardal, Sten; Alter, David A.; Laupacis, Andreas // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);6/17/2006, Vol. 332 Issue 7555, p1419
Objective To examine the potential effectiveness and efficiency of different guidelines for statin treatment to reduce deaths from coronary heart disease in the Canadian population. Design Modelled outcomes of screening and treatment recommendations of six national or international...
- Pre-Procedural Atorvastatin Mobilizes Endothelial Progenitor Cells: Clues to the Salutary Effects of Statins on Healing of Stented Human Arteries. Hibbert, Benjamin; Xiaoli Ma; Pourdjabbar, Ali; Simard, Trevor; Rayner, Katey; Jiangfeng Sun; Yong-Xiang Chen; Filion, Lionel; O'Brien, Edward R. // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p1
Objectives: Recent clinical trials suggest an LDL-independent superiority of intensive statin therapy in reducing target vessel revascularization and peri-procedural myocardial infarctions in patients who undergo percutaneous coronary interventions (PCI). While animal studies demonstrate that...
- Use of evidence-based therapies after discharge among elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction. Austin, Peter C.; Tu, Jack V.; Ko, Dennis T.; Alter, David A. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;10/21/2008, Vol. 179 Issue 9, p895
Background: Postdischarge use of evidence-based drug therapies has been proposed as a measure of quality of care for myocardial infarction patients. We examined trends in the use of evidence-based drug therapies after discharge among elderly patients with myocardial infarction. Methods: We...
- HMG Coenzyme A Reductase Inhibitors. Klag, Michael J. // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Dec1999, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p777
Focuses on the introduction of statins in medicine. Usability of statins in the prevention of coronary heart disease; Reduction in overall stroke incidence by 30 percent; Need to improve the medical practice patterns to give patients the highest quality care.
- Tailored statin regime best for cuttina coronary events. // Pulse;1/27/2010, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p10
The article reports on the U.S. study which found that tailored statin therapy for patients with high coronary artery disease (CAD) risk is effective in preventing coronary events than treating to a cholesterol target.
- Less than 20 per cent of CHD patients prescribed statins. Misselbrook, David // Pulse;7/1/2002, Vol. 62 Issue 26, p22
Presents reaction to the study that found patients with established coronary heart disease were less likely to be on statins if they were older, smoked or had a history of angina only but no previous myocardial infarct. Highlights of the study.
- Cholesterol study ranks effectiveness of statins. Gough, Rob // Pulse;11/11/2002, Vol. 62 Issue 43, p7
Examines the use of statins for first-line treatment of coronary heart disease (CHD) in Great Britain. Efficacy of statins in reducing cholesterol in the body; Mechanism of action of each agent; Benefits of the treatment for CHD patients.