SEC's Overseer of Heartland Funds Hamstrung by Limited Disclosure
- Municipal Funds Post Strong Returns Following Shaky Year. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;9/5/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31217, p6
Reports the increase of the municipal bond fund return in the United States. Impact of the collapse of the funds of Heartland Group Inc. on the municipal bonds; Default rate of high-yield municipal bonds; Nuveen High-Yield Municipal Bond Fund as the highest return of municipal bond fund.
- Pay Plan Set For Heartland Shareholders. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;10/25/2001, Vol. 388 Issue 31251, p1
Reports on the possibility for shareholders to get cash distribution from the sales of Heartland Group Inc. funds. Submission of liquidation plan by receiver in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois; Estimated amount of cash received by municipal bond fund shareholders...
- Heartland Misses Deadline for Class Action Response. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;3/20/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31348, p5
Reports the class action suit filed by investors in the Heartland high- yield municipal bond funds against PricewaterhouseCoppers and Heartland Group Inc. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Failure of Heartland to meet deadline for response set by the court; Motion of the two firms for dismissal of the...
- New Valuation Guidelines From Heartland Mess? Greene, Andrew // On Wall Street;May2001, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p26
Focuses on a United States District Court order which placed three of the high-yield municipal bond funds of the Heartland Group of Milwaukee in receivership. Reason behind the company's decision to change the method by which they value their portfolio; Problem with fair value pricing methods;...
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers Settles With Heartland Muni Investors. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;1/4/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32291, p24
The article reports that PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP has agreed to an $8.25 million settlement with shareholders of two former Heartland Group Inc. high-yield municipal bond mutual funds for its role as auditor in the collapse of the funds in 2000. The settlement would raise the amount of damages...
- In Rare Action, SEC Gets Court to Shut Three Heartland Muni Funds. Hume, Lynn; Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;03/23/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31103, p1
Reports that the United States Securities and Exchange Commission has obtained a court order to shut down municipal bond funds managed by Heartland Group Inc. of Wisconsin and put them under control of receiver Phillip L. Stern who could liquidate them and distribute their assets to the...
- Heartland to Sell Its Sole Remaining Muni Fund to Ziegler. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;8/21/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31454, p31
Reports the plans of Heartland Group Inc. to sell the Heartland Wisconsin Tax Free Fund. Terms and conditions of the agreement; Investment of Heartland in investment-grade debt; seizure of Heartland assets by the Stock and Exchange Commission.
- Heartland's Independent Directors Almost Quit, Jeopardizing All Funds. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;03/26/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31104, p4
Reports that Heartland Group Inc.'s independent directors were on the verge of resigning in February 2001. Possible impact of the move on the group's funds; Reason why the independent directors decided to resign.
- Heartland's Receiver Enters Deal. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;2/8/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31321, p1
Reports on a bond purchase agreement between Phillip Stern, receiver of Heartland Group Inc. municipal bond funds in 2001 and an undisclosed entity to acquire various distressed bonds held by the funds in the U.S. Terms of the deal; Comments of Security and Exchange Commission enforcement...