Complications for Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups After Total Hip and Knee Replacement
- Rheumatology: 10. Joint replacement of the hip and knee--when to refer and what to expect. Brady, Owen H.; Masri, Bassam A.; Garbuz, Donald S.; Duncan, Clive P. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/14/2000, Vol. 163 Issue 10, p1285
Presents a clinical overview of joint replacement of the hip and knee in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Prevalence of hip and knee arthritis among elderly people; History of total joint arthroplasty; Indications, including inflammatory conditions, for joint replacement; Techniques and...
- In-hospital complications following primary total hip and knee arthroplasty in octogenarian and nonagenarian patients. Nanjayan, Shashi; Swamy, Girish; Yellu, Sunil; Yallappa, Sachin; Abuzakuk, Tarek; Straw, Robert // Journal of Orthopaedics & Traumatology;Mar2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p29
Background: As life expectancy of patients increases, more elderly patients are undergoing primary total hip arthroplasty (THA) and total knee arthroplasty (TKA). There is a general perception of increased risk of complications in elderly patients. Our objective was to analyse the incidence of...
- Mosaicplasty for the treatment of a large traumatic osteochondral femoral head lesion: a case report with 2 year follow-up and review of the literature. Anthonissen, J.; Rommens, P.; Hofmann, A.; Rommens, P M // Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery;Jan2016, Vol. 136 Issue 1, p41
Different joint-preserving techniques have been described for the treatment of traumatic osteochondral lesions of the femoral head especially in young active patients. Mosaicplasty with autologous transplantation of osteochondral cylinders is an established surgical technique in the knee. Little...
- Do synovial leptin levels correlate with pain in end stage arthritis? Lübbeke, Anne; Finckh, Axel; Puskas, Gabor; Suva, Domizio; Lädermann, Alexandre; Bas, Sylvette; Fritschy, Daniel; Gabay, Cem; Hoffmeyer, Pierre // International Orthopaedics;Oct2013, Vol. 37 Issue 10, p2071
Purpose: We evaluated whether synovial fluid (SF) leptin concentrations correlate with pain severity in patients with hip or knee endstage osteoarthritis (OA) and whether they mediate the association between increased joint pain and (1) female gender and (2) obesity. Methods: We conducted a...
- Depression and the Overall Burden of Painful Joints: An Examination among Individuals Undergoing Hip and Knee Replacement for Osteoarthritis. Gandhi, Rajiv; Zywiel, Michael G.; Mahomed, Nizar N.; Perruccio, Anthony V. // Arthritis (20901984);3/11/2015, Vol. 2015, p1
The majority of patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis (OA) report one or more symptomatic joints apart from the one targeted for surgical care. Therefore, the purpose of the present study was to investigate the association between the burden of multiple symptomatic joints and self-reported...
- Precision of novel radiological methods in relation to resurfacing humeral head implants: assessment by radiostereometric analysis, DXA, and geometrical analysis. Stilling, Maiken; Mechlenburg, Inger; Amstrup, Anders; Soballe, Kjeld; Klebe, Thomas // Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery;Nov2012, Vol. 132 Issue 11, p1521
Background: Resurfacing humeral head implants (RHHI) are used to preserve bone stock and restore normal anatomy in the osteoarthritic shoulder joint. The purpose of this study was: (1) to describe the use of novel radiological methods in relation to evaluation of RHHI; (2) to estimate the...
- Hip hooray. // Prevention;Jul94, Vol. 46 Issue 7, p36
Discusses research which suggests that practicing a rehabilitation routine before hip- or knee-replacement surgery may cut a patient's hospital stay in half. Details of the study presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Is reintroducing a patient's blood part of your blood management practice? Why? // Orthopaedics Today Europe;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p13
The article presents contradicting views on the relevance of blood management to total knee arthroscopy and total hip arthroscopy.
- Developing priority criteria for hip and knee replacement: results from the Western Canada Waiting List Project. Arnett, Gordon; Hadorn, David C. // Canadian Journal of Surgery;Aug2003, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p290
Discusses Western Canada Waiting List Project's (WCWL) clinical criteria for setting priorities among patients waiting hip and knee replacement. Reliability of priority criteria; Surgical judgment regarding the clinical urgency for hip and knee replacement; Role of WCWL in managing waiting lists.