KEEPING OLDER PEOPLE SAFE BY PREVENTING ELDER ABUSE AND NEGLECT
- SAFE and Sound. Ellin, Simone // Baltimore Jewish Times;12/26/2014, Vol. 341 Issue 8, p15
The article discusses a program called Stop Abuse of Elders (SAFE) to help elderly people from abuse or exploitation. Topics include violence against elderly people by family members or nursing homes, financial fraud or manipulations and the facilities provided by SAFE to help elders from abuse....
- Texas APS shares tips for protecting elderly. // Graham Leader;11/14/2012, Vol. 137 Issue 26, p7
The article reports that the Texas Adult Protective Services (APS) has offered tips on how Texans especially elderly or disables can protect themselves from financial exploitation and about events in the area.
- WNY follows national trend. CHANDLER, MATT // Buffalo Law Journal;12/3/2012, Vol. 84 Issue 97, p1
The article reports on a new study by the American Psychological Association which found that there are more than 2.1 million "older" victims of abuse each year in the U.S.
- Editorial. Dussich, John P. J. // International Perspectives in Victimology;Feb2011, Vol. 5 Issue 2, preceding p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including domestic violence in Latin America, intimate terrorism in The Netherlands, and elder abuse.
- Recognizing the signs of elder abuse. Young, Melinda G.; Benton, Donna; Phillips, Cheryl; Wayne, Matthew // Patient Care;10/30/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 20, p56
Presents information on elder abuse in the United States. High risk of maltreatment to aged white women with meager financial resources; Manifestations of elder abuse; Identification of neglected patients. INSET: Legal requirements for reporting suspected incidents of eld....
- Identifying and Preventing Family-Mediating Abuse and Neglect of Elderly Persons. O'Malley, Terrence A.; Everitt, Daniel E.; O'malley, Helen C.; Campion, Edward W. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jun83, Vol. 98 Issue 6, p998
Deals with the identification and prevention of family-mediated abuse and neglect of the aged. Theories of abuse; Proposed definitions for abuse and neglect; Role of physicians and medical care teams in the intervention of abuse and neglect; Details on a model to manage cases of abuse and neglect.
- What's Wrong With Elder Abuse Research? Shilling J.D, Dana // Criminal Justice Research Review;Nov/Dec2013, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p22
The article offers information on the report "Understanding Elder Abuse: New Directions for Developing Theories of Elder Abuse Occurring in Domestic Settings" published by the U.S. National Institute of Justice (NIJ) in June 2013. As per the report 89.3 percent of Adult Protective Services elder...
- Take a stand in Mississippi: Stop abuse and neglect of vulnerable persons. // Jackson Advocate;6/20/2013, Vol. 75 Issue 37, p14A
The article discusses Mississippi's Adult Protective Services (APS) program held in June 2013 for celebration of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day and mentions several initiatives for taking stand against abuse of vulnerable persons such as visiting vulnerable relatives and assisting a caregiver.
- Elder abuse and neglect. Cyphers, Gary C. // Policy & Practice of Public Human Services;Sep99, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p25
Explores senior abuse and neglect in the United States by using data from the National Elder Abuse Incidence Study. Neglect and abandonment; Financial exploitation; Self-neglect and physical abuse; Identity of abusers and victims; Reporters of cases of domestic elder abuse and neglect to Adult...