TOP NEGRO JOCKEY
- Forgotten Horse-Racing Legend to Be Honored in Louisville, KY. Dugger, A. J. // Tennessee Tribune;4/21/2011, Vol. 22 Issue 16, p1A
The article reports that horse-racing legend Isaac Murphy will be honored at the Isaac Murphy Derby Experience and Image Awards in Louisville, Kentucky. It mentions that Murphy was the first African American jockey to win the state's derby three times and the first jockey to be inducted into the...
- Horse Racing. // Black Firsts, Second Edition;2003, p694
Information on several African Americans related to horse racing is presented. Isaac Murphy was the first jockey of any race to win the Kentucky Derby three times. The first jockey of any race to win the Kentucky Derby was Oliver Lewis. Cheryl White became the first black woman jockey on June...
- MURPHY, Isaac. // Black Studies Primer;2008, p325
A brief profile of Isaac Murphy, an outstanding African American jockey of the nineteenth century who became the first to ride three Kentucky Derby winners is presented.
- When Black jockeys ruled the racetrack. WILLIAMS, JASMIN K. // New York Amsterdam News;5/9/2013, Vol. 104 Issue 19, p28
The article offers information on successful Black jockeys. In 1875, nineteen-year-old Oliver Lewis won the Kentucky Derby in a record-setting two minutes and 37.75 seconds. Isaac Murphy, who is considered to be the greatest jockey in the history of horse racing, won the Kentucky Derby three...
- Isaac Murphy: Black Hero in Nineteenth Century American Sport, 1861-1896. Wiggins, David K. // Canadian Journal of History of Sport & Physical Education;May79, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p15
The article examines the life of Isaac Murphy, a successful black jockey who lived from 1861-1896. The article discusses the racial climate in sports, horse racing in particular, during this time. It also discusses Murphy's many outstanding accomplishments, including being the first jockey to...
- AFRICAN AMERICANS IN SPORTS. // New Crisis (15591603);Jan/Feb99, Vol. 106 Issue 1, p66
Features some African American athletes. Isaac Murphy; Jackie Robinson; Wilma Rudolph; Willie Mays; Arthur Ashe; Muhammad Ali; Tommie Smith; Achievements of each athlete.
- Perfect Timing: How Isaac Murphy Became One of the World's Greatest Jockeys. Robinson, Ann // School Library Journal;Dec2006, Vol. 52 Issue 12, p130
A review of the book "Perfect Timing: How Isaac Murphy Became One of the World's Greatest Jockeys" by Patsi B. Trollinger is presented.
- The Racing Life. Wall, Maryjean // Humanities;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p6
The article offers a biography of African American jockey Jimmy Winkfield. Winkfield was born in Kentucky and won the Kentucky Derby horse race in 1901 and 1902 before finding it difficult to work as a jockey due to segregation in the U.S. He moved to Russia in 1903 and achieved fame as a...
- LJ Proves Thoroughbreds Are Color-Blind. Jones, Gordon // Ebony;Nov1970, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p100
The article presents information on L. J. Durousseau, an African American jockey from the Cajun country. It states that Durousseau holds several world records. It mentions that African Americans are not encouraged in horse racing, and discusses how the trainers in California are opposed his...