Federal budget light on initiatives for health, research
- The $0.3 Billion Question. Stanford, Jim // Catholic New Times;6/20/2011, p12
The article examines the potential consequences of Canada's proposed Federal Budget which projects a balanced budget by 2014-2015 instead of 2015-2016. The resulting 4 billion Canadian dollars in spending reductions needed to achieve the target will result in a half-percentage point reduction in...
- APPENDIX C. Bailey, Ronald // Human Life Review;Fall2005, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p85
The article presents a reprint of the article "No Shortage of Funds," by Ronald Bailey which was published in the "Wall Street Journal." The essay questions the practicality of U.S. President George W. Bush's funding restrictions on embryonic stem cell research. The author asserts that the...
- Spending on culture up again after years of decline. // Infomat: A Weekly Review;6/14/2002, p4
Reports on the increase in Canadian government's spending on culture in the fiscal year 1999/2000. Percentage of increase in spending in the federal, provincial and municipal governments; Effect of population increase on government spendings; Operation budgets of different government agencies.
- Slump in tourism spending as air travel takes brunt. // Infomat: A Weekly Review;4/4/2003, p3
Reports on the decline in expenditures related to tourist trade in Canada during 2002. Factors responsible for the declining expenditures; Expenses incurred by foreign and domestic tourists; Growth in expenses incurred by the accommodation industry.
- Statistical tables. // Federal Scientific Activities;2008/2009, p10
Several charts are presented which show federal expenditures on science and technology, federal intramural and extramural expenditures, and federal personnel.
- The small business financing program: A limited time offer. Wraggett, Cathy // CMA Magazine;Jun92, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p26
Provides information on the Small Business Financing Program as part of Canada's February 25, 1992 Budget. Components of the program; How the program introduces the small business development bond (SBDB) and the small business bond programs (SBB); Who qualifies for the program; How the program...
- Budgeting for results: The Canadian expenditure planning process. Keay, John // CMA Magazine;Sep94, Vol. 68 Issue 7, p44
Discusses the Canadian government's expenditure planning process. Authority for the execution of the plan; Operational plan framework of departments; Components of the main estimates document presented to the Parliament; Service standards for results measurement and reporting.
- Surpluses to pay down debt. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;6/12/95, Vol. 22 Issue 26, p51
Reports on the use of the budget surpluses to pay down Canada's debt.
- Politicizing NIH funding: a bridge to nowhere. Epstein, Jonathan A. // Journal of Clinical Investigation;Sep2011, Vol. 121 Issue 9, p3362
We live in a time of increased spending, mounting debt, and few remedies for balancing the federal budget that have bipartisan support. Unfortunately, one recent target for decreased allocations of the federal budget is the NIH; the discussion of the awarded grants and the grant funding process...