United States scrambles for secure, safe isotope supply
- Production of fission Mo at the VVR-ts nuclear reactor in a closed-loop process with respect to U. Kochnov, O.; Pozdeev, V.; Krasheninnikov, A.; Zakharov, N. // Radiochemistry;Apr2012, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p188
Technological aspects of Mo production from U at the VVR-ts nuclear reactor are considered. The nuclear target design with which the formation of liquid and solid wastes is reduced to a minimum and the forced system for cooling of nuclear targets in experimental channels of the nuclear reactor...
- An alternative route for the preparation of the medical isotope Mo from the U(Î³, f) and Mo(Î³, n) reactions. Naik, H.; Suryanarayana, S.; Jagadeesan, K.; Thakare, S.; Joshi, P.; Nimje, V.; Mittal, K.; Goswami, A.; Venugopal, V.; Kailas, S. // Journal of Radioanalytical & Nuclear Chemistry;Jan2013, Vol. 295 Issue 1, p807
The radionuclide Mo, which has a half-life of 65.94 h was produced from U(Î³, f) and Mo(Î³, n) reactions using a 10 MeV electron linac at EBC, Kharghar Navi-Mumbai, India. This has been investigated since the daughter product Tc is very important from a medical point of view and can be...
- Fission fragments weighed. // Physics Today;Mar2006, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p9
The article discusses research being done on isotope masses. It references a study by U. Hager and colleagues published in the 2006 issue of Physical Review Letters. A team of scientists from the University of JyvÃ¤skylÃ¤ in Finland has made high-precision mass measurements of 23...
- Measurements of Natural Radionuclides in Vegetables by Gamma Spectrometry. Saeed, M.; Zainal, N.; Hossain, I.; Javed, M.; Mubarak, A. // Journal of Applied Spectroscopy;Jul2014, Vol. 81 Issue 3, p541
This article reports the activity of natural radionuclides uranium, thorium, and potassium, in different vegetables in Malaysia, measured with a p-type high-purity germanium detector (HPGe). Potassium radionuclides were the most prevalent element in the tested samples, whose activity ranges from...
- Molybdenum-99 (99Mo): Past, Present, and Future. Ahmad, Mushtaq; Vandegrift, George; Cristini, Pablo // Science & Technology of Nuclear Installations;2014, p1
No abstract available.
- Quantitative planar imaging in renal scintigraphy. L�rraga, J. M.; Mart�nez-D�valos, A.; Mart�nez-Duncker, C.; Rodr�guez, R. Herrera // AIP Conference Proceedings;2002, Vol. 630 Issue 1, p236
In this work we show the results of the implementation of the double energy window method (DEW) to correct for scatter and geometric mean of opposite image to correct for attenuation of radiation within the patient for absolute quantification of radiotracer in renal scintigraphy studies. We show...
- scintigraphy. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2083
A definition of the term "scintigraphy," which refers to the injection and detection of radioactive isotopes to create images of body parts and identify diseases, is presented.
- Shall we settle for low-level evidence? Raza Mirza, Mansoor // Journal of Gynecologic Oncology;2014, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p162
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses the long-term experience of delivering conformal brachytherapy with assistance of simpler technique and transabdominal ultrasound.
- NUCLEAR DROUGHT. Walters, Pat // Popular Science;Nov2009, Vol. 275 Issue 5, p33
The article discusses the spring 2009 shut down of the Chalk River nuclear reactor and associated interruption of the U.S. supply of molybdenum-99 (Mo-99), an isotope used ubiquitously in diagnostic medical procedures. It notes that the useful life of the few worldwide Mo-99 reactors has been...