Promoting bone health: Focus on postmenopausal women and patients receiving systemic therapy for breast or prostate cancer
- Research progress of signaling pathways in osteoporosis. LZHA Xiaoyun; HU Yu // Chinese Journal of Osteoporosis / Zhongguo Guzhi Shusong Zazhi;Feb2014, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p205
Bone metabolism consists of bone formation and bone resorption. The imbalance between them causes osteosclerosis, osteopenia, or even osteoporosis, but the specific signal pathway remains unknown. Current researches reveal that at least 4 signaling pathways participate in bone metabolism;...
- Effect of chronic activity-based therapy on bone mineral density and bone turnover in persons with spinal cord injury. Astorino, Todd Anthony; Harness, Eric T.; Witzke, Kara A. // European Journal of Applied Physiology;Dec2013, Vol. 113 Issue 12, p3027
Purpose: Osteoporosis is a severe complication of spinal cord injury (SCI). Many exercise modalities are used to slow bone loss, yet their efficacy is equivocal. This study examined the effect of activity-based therapy (ABT) targeting the lower extremities on bone health in individuals with SCI....
- Kinder, gentler bone builder. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Oct93, Vol. 54 Issue 10, p28
Discusses a University of Missouri study of the effectiveness of low-impact exercise in preserving bone density in post-menopausal women. Comparison of the beneficial effects of high-impact and low-impact exercises; Average percentage of bone mass loss in sedentary women.
- Jumping for joy reduces risk of bone fractures. E.B. // Medical Update;Mar97, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p6
Examines the effect of high-impact exercise on the bone mineral density in premenopausal women. Bone mineral density as an important risk factor for bone fractures; Increasing bone mineral density through exercise; Effect of hormonal changes in reducing bone density in women.
- Your body's joints. Gosling, Craig G. // U.S. Kids;Jul/Aug98, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p32
Provides information on the human's body joints. Number of bones within the body; Hinge joints; Ball and socket joints; Sliding joints.
- parosteal. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1715
A definition of the term "parosteal" which refers to something relating to the outermost layer of the periosteum is presented.
- Bones in space. // British Medical Journal;5/31/1980, Vol. 280 Issue 6227, p1288
Examines the effects of space flights in bone physiology. Forces affecting the maintenance of bone integrity; Radiographic studies showing bone loss in astronauts; Loss of calcium in zero gravity environment.
- ADAPTATION OF HUMAN TIBIA BONE TISSUE CHARACTERISTICS TO REGULAR PHYSICAL LOADS. Pontaga, I. // Acta Kinesiologiae Universitatis Tartuensis;2011 Supplement, Vol. 16, p122
An abstract of the article "ADAPTATION OF HUMAN TIBIA BONE TISSUE CHARACTERISTICS TO REGULAR PHYSICAL LOADS" by I. Pontaga is presented.
- Abstracts. Thompson, Clint // Journal of Athletic Training (National Athletic Trainers' Associ;Apr-Jun99, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p203
Reprints the abstract of the study `A Measurement of Anterior Tibial Displacement in the Closed and Open Kinetic Chain,' by W.L. Jenkins, S.W. Munns, G. Jayaraman, K.L. Wertzberger and K. Neely which appeared in the 1997 issue of the `Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy.'