NEWS IN BRIEF
- Hitting the street may not pay. // People Management;Aug2014, p9
The article discusses a July 2014 strike by public sector employees over wages, pensions, and job and spending cuts in Great Britain, noting that the strike may not achieve its goals.
- Ask Dr. labor relations. Hirce, Kathleen; Horowitz, Janice M. // Time;8/25/1997, Vol. 150 Issue 8, p22
Looks at the payment of workers and sports players who are on strike through a strike fund. The example of the Players Association in Major League Baseball, and the National Football League Players Association.
- Power loom workers win victory. // Green Left Weekly;8/4/2010, Issue 847, p16
The article reports on the victory of 250,000 power loom workers of a 17% pay increase after a nine day strike in Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- U.K. Actors Could Strike Over Y2K Pay. Robertson, Cameron // Back Stage;10/22/99, Vol. 40 Issue 42, p3
Reports that a strike action is being threatened by the Broadcasting Entertainment Cinematograph and Theater Union (BECTU) over a dispute about payment for its members who have to work during millennium weekend in 2000. Conditions under the union's proposed payments; Information on BECTU.
- Wage Bargaining, Inventories, and Union Legislation. Coles, Melvin G.; Hildreth, Andrew K.G. // Review of Economic Studies;Apr2000, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p273
Analyzes a strategic bargaining game where the firm may or may not be able to sell out of its inventory of finished goods during a strike. Relationship between wage equilibrium and axiomatic Nash bargaining; Identification of the value of threatpoint of firm; Union legislation in Great Britain;...
- Public sector workers score a qualified win. Kaczorek, Sibylle // Green Left Weekly;4/18/2012, Issue 918, p17
The article reports on public service workers in Germany and their strike on March 27, 2012 to protest against the wage rise and permanent job policies of their employers.
- Star City workers' struggle continues. Donohoe, Pat // Green Left Weekly;2/24/2010, Issue 827, p4
The article reports on the effort of workers at the Star City Casino in Sydney, New South Wales to continue their strikes on February 11 and 14, 2010 to fight for wage justice.
- Council unions ballot members on pay strike. Wild, Damian // Public Finance;02/23/96, p7
Reports that the threat of industrial action by 1.5 million local government workers moved closer after unions rejected employers' final offer. Percentage of wage increase demanded by the unions; Effect of wage increase on jobs.
- South Africa's National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) launched a strike over wages, upping their demand to 15%. // African Business News;7/1/2014, p8
The article informs that strike over wages has been launched by the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) over wages.