The Relationship Between Time to Surgical DÃ©bridement and Incidence of Infection After Open High-Energy Lower Extremity Trauma
- Epidemiology and Contemporary Patterns of Trauma Deaths: Changing Place, Similar Pace, Older Face. Søreide, Kjetil; Krüger, Andreas J.; Vårdal, Anne Line; Ellingsen, Christian Lycke; Søreide, Eldar; Lossius, Hans Morten // World Journal of Surgery;Nov2007, Vol. 31 Issue 11, p2092
The epidemiology of trauma deaths in Europe is less than well investigated. Thus, our goal was to study the contemporary patterns of trauma deaths within a defined population with an exceptionally high trauma autopsy rate. This was a retrospective evaluation of 260 consecutive trauma autopsies...
- The through-knee amputation/disarticulation. Ginsberg, J.W. // Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh;Oct99, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p335
Presents an abstract of the study 'The Though-Knee Amputation/Disarticulation,' by J.W. Ginsberg, which was presented at the Joint Meeting of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, with the College of Medicine of South Africa.
- Focus on surgical care of the adolescent trauma patient. Sommerfeldt, D. // European Journal of Trauma & Emergency Surgery;Feb2014, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses the surgical care of the adolescent trauma patient.
- Complications of trauma care: Risk analysis of pneumonia in 10,001 adult trauma patients. Bellemare, Jean-Francois; Tepas III, J.J. // American Surgeon;Mar1996, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p207
Identifies complications of trauma care in a level I trauma center over a five-year period. Pneumonia; Mortality in patients with uncomplicated care; Severely injured patients as those with the most complications; Importance of infection control and aggressive pulmonary toilet in the early care...
- DISCUSSION. Andros, George // Vascular Surgery;Mar/Apr1998, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p195
The article discusses some interesting points concerning the study on the proliferation of civilian trauma in the U.S. According to the author, what is interesting in the said case report is on the unusual injuries to intraabdominal structures including the occurrence of a rarity, renal artery...
- Does Timing to Operative Debridement Affect Infectious Complications in Open Long-Bone Fractures? Schenker, Mara L.; Yannascoli, Sarah; Baldwin, Keith D.; Ahn, Jaimo; Mehta, Samir // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;6/20/2012, Vol. 94-A Issue 12, p1057
Background: Existing guidelines recommend emergency surgical debridement of open fractures within six hours after injury. The aim of this study was to systematically review the association between time to operative debridement of open fractures and infection. Methods: Searches of the MEDLINE,...
- Book Review: War Surgery, Field Manual, Second Revised Edition. İnan, Mustafa // Balkan Medical Journal;Jun2012, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p228
The article reviews the book "War Surgery: Field Manual," Second Revised Edition, edited by Hans Husum, Swee Chai Ang and Eric Fosse.
- The Suspension Suture. Salasche, Stuart J.; Jarchow, Robert; Feldman, Bruce D.; Devine-Rust, Mary Joanne; Adnot, John // Journal of Dermatologic Surgery & Oncology;Sep87, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p973
The suspension suture is a tension-reducing stitch that anchors the undersurface of a flap or elliptical wound edge to the underlying periosteum. The technique of placing the stitch is described and the indications for and the benefits derived from its use are discussed.
- Operative treatment of 733 patients with acute thoracolumbar spinal injuries: comprehensive results from the second, prospective, internet-based multicenter study of the Spine Study Group of the German Association of Trauma Surgery. Reinhold, M.; Knop, C.; Beisse, R.; Audigé, L.; Kandziora, F.; Pizanis, A.; Pranzl, R.; Gercek, E.; Schultheiss, M.; Weckbach, A.; Bühren, V.; Blauth, M. // European Spine Journal;Oct2010, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p1657
The second, internet-based multicenter study (MCSII) of the Spine Study Group of the German Association of Trauma Surgery (Deutsche Gesellschaft fÃ¼r Unfallchirurgie) is a representative patient collection of acute traumatic thoracolumbar (T1-L5) injuries. The MCSII results are an update of...