Taurine has a protective effect against thioacetamide-induced liver cirrhosis by decreasing oxidative stress
- Participation of aquaporin-1 in vascular changes and remodeling in cirrhotic liver. Iguchi, Hiroyoshi; Oda, Masaya; Yamazaki, Hitoshi; Yokomori, Hiroaki // Medical Molecular Morphology;
The pathophysiology of arterial capillary proliferation accompanying fibrosis in human cirrhosis remains unclear. However, evidence regarding the molecules participating in the pathophysiological process has been accumulating. Water channel proteins known as aquaporins (AQP)s, notably AQP-1,...
- The Potential Effect of Special Formulas on Cirrhotic Rats. Hassan, Enayat M.; El-Kherbawy, Ghada M.; Ali, Mona A. M.; Dewidar, Omaima M. // Food & Nutrition Sciences;May2013, Vol. 4 Issue 5, p594
Liver protective effect of special formulas (1 and 2) was assessed against carbon tetra chloride (CCl4) which induced liver damage in Wister albino rats. The two prepared formulas reduced the changes in body weight and liver weight caused by CCl4 in rats. The toxicity of CCl4 is related to loss...
- Five days of ceftriaxone to treat spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic patients. Franca, Alex Vianey Callado; Giordano, Helena maria; Sev �-Pereira, Tiago; Soares, Elza Cotrim // Journal of Gastroenterology;2002, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p119
Background. The aim of this study was to determine whether a short course of ceftriaxone was sufficient to cure spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) in cirrhotic patients. Methods. We studied 33 cirrhotic patients with SBP. All of them were treated with ceftriaxone, 1.0 g IV, every 12 h...
- Treatment in primary biliary cirrhosis. Parkhouse, J. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);10/10/1987, Vol. 295 Issue 6603, p867
Focuses on the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis in Great Britain. Assessment of thyroid functions with fatigue; Benefits of cholestyramine treatment; Certainty on the efficacy of the treatment affecting important pathogenic factors.
- Cirrhosis may be amenable to telomerase treatment. Berger, Abi // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);02/26/2000, Vol. 320 Issue 7234, p536
Provides information on a study in Boston, Massachusetts which suggested that liver disease culminating in cirrhosis may be amenable to telomerase treatment. Methods and subjects used in the study; Comments from Ron DePinho, research leader and professor of medicine and genetics at Harvard...
- Terlipressin and arterial blood volume after paracentesis for tense ascites in cirrhosis. Ranger, G. Singh // Gut;Nov2002, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p755
Comments on a study published in a previous issue of the periodical 'Gut,' which described the use of terlipressin in ameliorating the reduction in effective arterial blood volume in patients with cirrhosis.
- Silymarin: A Review of its Clinical Properties in the Management of Hepatic Disorders. Wellington, K.; Jarvis, B. // BioDrugs;2001, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p465
The mechanisms of action of silymarin involve different biochemical events, such as the stimulation of the synthetic rate of ribosomal RNA (rRNA) species through stimulation of polymerase I and rRNA transcription, protecting the cell membrane from radical-induced damage and blockage of the...
- A strong case for transplantation. // Patient Care;6/15/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p129
Argues in favor of transplantation for alcoholics with cirrhosis of the liver. Priority for orthotopic liver transplantation; Criteria for transplant listing; Contention involving the high rate of relapse among alcoholics.
- Randomised trial of octreotide for long term management of cirrhosis after variceal haemorrhage. Jenkins, Spencer A.; Baxter, John N. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/22/97, Vol. 315 Issue 7119, p1338
Discusses the results of randomised trial of octreotide for long term management of cirrhosis after variceal hemorrhage. Reduction of the rate of recurrent variceal hemorrhage in patients with cirrhotic portal hypertension; Stimulation of hepatic reticuloendothelial activity; Potential of long...