- FIREBOAT FIGHTS DANGEROUS BLAZE ON MUNITIONS SHIP. // Ebony;Jun1951, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p68
The article focuses on the statement issued by African American fireboat captain Lieutenant Samuel Singleton of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania concerning the nature of his work and the danger faced by his firemen in every mission they accomplished.
- TOP Blacks in Military & Defense. Deen, Lango // U.S. Black Engineer & Information Technology;Summer2010, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p10
The article presents profiles of black officials in the U.S. military and national defense including Brigadier General Barbaranette T. Bolden, Lieutenant General Thomas P. Bostick, and Brigadier General Jesse R. Cross. It features the educational background of the officers and their...
- From the Editor. R. H. T. // Parameters: U.S. Army War College;Fall2010, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue including "The Death of Military Justice" by William Gregor, "Afghanistan in Transition" by Ali A. Jalali, and "Why Black Officers Still Fail" by Irving Smith.
- THREE-DAY PASS. BRISTOL, HORACE // Ebony;Jun1951, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p44
The article focuses on the story of African American Corporal Jimmie Johnson of the 9th Infantry Regiment, U.S. Army during his stay at a hotel in Hokkaido, Japan after he got out of the hospital bed.
- BLACK ENGINEER OF THE YEAR IN GOVERNMENT. // Jet;5/3/2004, Vol. 105 Issue 18, p40
Reports on the Black Engineer of the Year Award for Professional Achievement in Government received by U.S. Brigadier General Robert Crear. Contributions of Crear in the military.
- TOP GENERAL RETIRES. // Jet;6/21/2004, Vol. 105 Issue 25, p31
Reports on the retirement of African American United States Army General Larry R. Ellis.
- Letters. Williams, Emanuel; Casper, Lawrence E.; Delisi, James T.; Sullivan, Gordon R.; Swan III, Guy C.; Giffin, Donald W.; DeGraf, William B.; Fontenot, Russell J.; Yoshitani, Ken; Gleichenhaus, D. Peter; Blair III, Joseph M.; Hartline, Frank // Army Magazine;Nov2015, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p3
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "More African-American Officers Needed in Combat Arms," "Army Spotlights Professional Ethic," and "What's in a Name? With Some Posts, Too Much" in the September issue.
- The Marine Corps' First Black Commissioned Officer: The Life and Legacy of Frederick C. Branch. JEFFRIES, JUDSON L. // North Carolina Historical Review;Oct2010, Vol. 87 Issue 4, p379
The article discusses the military career of Frederick Clinton Branch (1922-2005), the first African American officer in the United States Marine Corps. The desegregation of the U.S. armed forces by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941 is discussed, as is the racism and discrimination faced...
- Mother Is A Sergeant. // Ebony;Oct1974, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p156
The article focuses on the adoption of five-year-old child Jason Thaddeus Howard by Sergeant First Class Grendel A. Howard in the U.S. Howard adopted Jason in April 1971 after an army policy which denies Women's Army Corps (WACS) the right to have dependents under 18 years old ended. Howard had...