Fair Value Confusion
- All reward, no risk. Kahn, Virginia Munger // Financial World;6/17/96, Vol. 165 Issue 9, p64
Discusses why mutual fund managers' fees go up even when they underperform. Contrast with the way hedge fund managers are compensated; Criticisms of incentive-based systems; Special protections mutual fund investors receive under securities laws.
- A Hedge Fund Winner. Armour, Lawrence A. // Fortune;10/12/1998, Vol. 138 Issue 7, p224
Focuses on Arthur Samberg's management of Pequot Family of Funds. His position as chairman and chief executive of the ten fund group which opened in 1986; Average annual performance; The hedge funds' focus on technology, health care, telecommunications, media, and retail stocks; Their strategy...
- Hedge fund returns are down, but still top benchmarks. Clair, Chris // Pensions & Investments;10/15/2001, Vol. 29 Issue 21, p1
Reports on the number of fund managers who submitted September performance numbers to Manage Account Reports in New York. Performance of the hedge fund strategies compared to mutual funds; Necessity the hedge funds to liquidate stock for margin calls; Utilization of models to analyze market...
- Hedge trimmers. Kavanagh, John // BRW;6/16/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 23, p102
Focuses on structured products used by fund managers to encourage their clients to put some of their money into hedge funds. Westpac Banking Corp.'s capital guaranteed product called Bluewater; Macquarie Bank's Equinox series of hedge fund of funds.
- How alternative are alternatives? Wilkinson, John // Money Management;5/27/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p22
Discusses the significance of the increasing popularity of alternative investments. Total value of investments managed by hedge fund managers in Australia; Expansion of hedge funds; Misunderstandings about the risk return profile that could be expected from hedge funds; Reasons for the...
- New regime offers benefits. Smith, Amanda // Money Marketing;1/21/2010, p26
The article reports on the offered benefits of hedge funds lite in providing the hedge fund managers with better option to investors than managed accounts within the Ucits III structure.
- Editorial. Satchell, Steve // Journal of Derivatives & Hedge Funds;Aug2008, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p69
The author expresses his optimism amid decreasing confidence in quant models. According to the author, the exodus of several hundred billion from active quant is likely to benefit the hedge funds that remain in place. Once the exodus has taken place and staff has been shed, there will be plenty...
- Registration Day. Curtis, Carol E. // Securities Industry News;11/8/2004, Vol. 16 Issue 37, p1
Focuses on hedge fund registration in the U.S. effective February 2006. Attitude of investment advisers and the hedge fund industry towards registration; Overview of the registration process; Similarity of the compliance scheme for hedge fund advisers to that of mutual fund advisers.
- Hedge Funds Permitting Sales on Secondary Market. // Money Management Executive;3/2/2009, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p5
The article reports on the decision of some hedge fund managers to allow their customers to sell back their shares on the secondary market as an alternative to locking up customers' money. It was mentioned that the secondary market for trading hedge fund shares developed a number of years ago as...