Justice Deptartment Raises No Concerns Over Vivendi Acquisition
- Justice Department examines big deals. Goldberg, Carol // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);05/05/97, Vol. 44 Issue 18, p1
Reports on the efforts of the US Justice Department to investigate the mergers of North Shore Health System with Long Island Jewish Medical Center and Winthrop-South Nassau University Health System with Catholic Health Network in New York. Monetary value of merger; Terms of agreement.
- MEDIA MERGERS TO DOJ. // Broadcasting & Cable;3/11/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 10, p28
Reviews the media mergers by the Justice Department's Antitrust Division (DoJ) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in the U.S. Controversy of the review; Decision of DoJ and FTC on the review; Budget of the review.
- The 1982 Merger Guidelines: When Economists Are Kings? Fox, Eleanor M. // California Law Review;Mar1983, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p281
Introduces a series of articles on the 1982 Merger Guidelines issued by the U.S. Department of Justice and its implications for the merger of antitrust laws and economics.
- More injustice. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;05/08/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p4
Criticizes the United States Justice Department for approving anti-competition mergers among business enterprises. Approval of the merger between Time Inc. and America Online; Criticisms against the department for breaking up Microsoft Corp.
- INTRODUCTORY REMARKS. Nannes, John M. // Antitrust Law Journal;1984 Part II, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p227
Presents an introductory remarks of the author of the development of Department of Justice Merger Guidelines. Basis for disregarding traditional structural indicia of potential anticompetitive effects of a combination; Competitive effects of a business combination; Context of a merger...
- U.S. Justice Department Gives OK For Reed-Elsevier To Buy Harcourt. // Educational Marketer;5/14/2001, Vol. 32 Issue 14, p3
Reports the clearing of the U.S. Department of Justice for the purchase of Harcourt General by Reed-Elsevier. Evaluation of Harcourt assets by the Department; View of industry analyst Peter Appert on the decision of the Department; Process for completion of transaction through approval of the...
- Justice's Mergers Guidelines: The General Theory. Areeda, Philip // California Law Review;Mar1983, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p303
Outlines some of the major effects and potential problems surrounding the 1968 and 1982 Merger Guidelines issued by the U.S. Department of Justice. Role of enforcement agencies in implementing the laws; Impact of the issuance of the guidelines on the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's power;...
- Government Enforcement Policy of Section 7 of the Clayton Act: Carte Blanche for Conglomerate Mergers? Bauer, Joseph P. // California Law Review;Mar1983, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p348
Argues that the U.S. Department of Justice's articulated enforcement intentions with respect to conglomerate mergers are inconsistent with the case law applying section 7 of the Clayton Act. Characteristics of mergers among businesses in the U.S.; Discussion on theories, cases and the 1968...
- Market Definition in the Merger Guidelines: Implications for Antitrust Enforcement. Harris, Robert G.; Jorde, Thomas M. // California Law Review;Mar1983, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p464
Examines the implications of U.S. Department of Justice's approach to market definition in its Merger Guidelines. Mistakes in adhering market definition to neoclassical theory; Limitation of the neoclassical price theory and its impact on antitrust policy; Discussion on the Guidelines' approach...