Attention drainage effect: How background music effects concentration in Taiwanese college students
- Slay charge vs. rapping teen. Nelson, Havelock // Billboard;7/3/93, Vol. 105 Issue 27, p83
Reports on the murder charge against Victor Brancaccio, a teenager in Port St. Lucie, Florida for killing a woman who did not like the lyrics he was rapping. Dr. Dre's `Stranded on Death Row' as a factor of the murder; Assistant state attorney David Morgan's appeal for a first-degree murder...
- A Performance of the Heart. Williams, Joan; McCauley, Joyce; Grumble, Melissa // Science & Children;Apr/May2013, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p68
The article discusses a study on how the use of performing text could increase scientific interest and comprehension among elementary students, citing the creation of a rap song for a lesson on the heart and circulation as an example. Noting research on the positive relationship between prosody,...
- Murder committed by amateur rapper. Kincaid, Cliff // Human Events;6/9/95, Vol. 51 Issue 22, p19
Presents an evidence linking rap music to murder. Focus on the case of Ralph McLean, a 29-year old black male who became a suspect in the attacks on the police in Washington, D.C.; Seizure of rap lyrics written by McLean expressing hatred for police and advocating violence against them;...
- Death sentence ends `rap' trial. Beets, Greg // Billboard;7/24/93, Vol. 105 Issue 30, p92
Reports on the death sentence given to convicted police killer Ronald Ray Howard in the `rap murder trial'. Defense attorney's attempt to show that rap music was partly to blame for Howard's shooting of Texas state trooper Bill Davidson; Factors considered by the jury in their decision.
- Gangsta rap hearing on Capitol Hill. Lichtman, Irv // Billboard;2/12/94, Vol. 106 Issue 7, p126
Informs of a House subcommittee hearing on the possible link between the sale of gangsta rap albums and juvenile crime. Committee chaired by African-American representative Cardiss Collins.
- Working memory and updating processes in reading comprehension. Palladino, Paola; Cornoldi, Cesare; de Beni, Rossana; Pazzaglia, Francesca // Memory & Cognition;Mar2001, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p344
Examines the relation between reading comprehension ability and success in working memory updating tasks. Decrease in performance related to longer series and poor reading ability; Poor memory and prevalence of intrusion errors in poor comprehenders; Aim to update information contained in...
- Music Exposure and Criminal Behavior: Perceptions of Juvenile Offenders. Gardstrom, Susan C. // Journal of Music Therapy;Fall1999, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p207
The purpose of this investigation was to examine young offenders' perceptions of the relationship between exposure to music and their criminal behavior. Using a tool designed for the study, male felony offenders ages 12 to 17 were questioned about their music listening patterns and the perceived...
- The relationship between heavy metal and rap music and adolescent turmoil: Real or artifact? took, Kevin J.; Weiss, David S. // Adolescence;Fall94, Vol. 29 Issue 115, p613
Investigates the association between heavy metal and rap music and adolescent psychosocial turmoil. Incidence of below-average school grades, school behavior problems, sexual activity, drug and alcohol use and arrests; Results after controlling the gender.
- The Sweet Work of Reading. Cunningham, Andie; Shagoury, Ruth // Educational Leadership;Oct2005, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p53
Focuses on how kindergartners explore reading comprehension using a surprisingly complex array of strategies. Investigation of what is possible for young children as they acquire literacy skills; Requirement of thoughtful planning on the part of the teacher and ample time for learners to grapple...