Legislative changes stack up as the general election looms
- Time for an open debate about conflicting discrimination law? McAlindin, Toni // People Management;2/12/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p34
The article reports on the clash between religious discrimination and sexual orientation as discrimination law grows in Great Britain. The conflict started when both areas were extended to goods and services in 2007. Information is presented on several court cases related to discrimination law,...
- Positively negative? Cuneen, Jackie // Employers Law;Mar2011, p14
This article discusses the apprehension expressed by employers on the implementation of the positive action in recruitment provision under section 159 of the Equality Act 2010 on April 6, 2011 in Great Britain. Employers have been reassured by the Government that positive action will not...
- First among equals. Paton, Nic // People Management;2/25/2010, Special section p19
The article presents information on Great Britain government's landmark equality bill that is scheduled to be enacted in April 2010 and will take effect from October 2010. The bill will bring together nine major pieces of legislation into a single act, including the Equal Pay Act of 1970 and the...
- If it affects the way you lead your life, it is a 'belief'. // Human Resources (09648380);Jul2009, p10
The article clarifies issues concerning the Employment Equality Regulations 2003 in Europe. The regulation prohibits any discrimination related to religion and belief in the workplace. However, it creates uncertainties on its reliability in protecting employees because it does not include...
- Equality Bill measures could open can of worms. Spalding, Dawn // Personnel Today;7/1/2008, p14
The article presents information on the pros and cons of Equality Bill related to human resource (HR) laws in Great Britain. The bill is aimed to strengthen protection, advance equality and de-clutter the law. Equality minister Harriet Harperson said that the bill lacks clarity as to how a...
- Legal Q&Aâ€¦ Religion and belief discrimination. // Personnel Today;3/6/2007, p20
The article presents questions and answers related to the Equality Act 2006 of Great Britain. The Act changes the existing definition of religion and belief set out in the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003. A reader asks when these changes will come into force. Another...
- Government to implement positive action provisions. // Employers Law;Feb2011, p4
The article discusses the provisions on positive action which will be implemented on April 6, 2011 under the Equality Act 2010 in Great Britain.
- employment law timetable. // Employers Law;Jul/Aug2011, p4
The article presents a schedule of release of several employment laws in Great Britain including bribery offences, equal treatment for agency workers, and increase in national minimum wage to 6.08 British pounds per hour.
- Equality and discrimination. // British Baker;2/25/2011, Vol. 3 Issue 4, Special section p2
The article focuses on the Equality Act of 2010 which identifies nine characteristics in which employees are protected against direct and indirect discrimination in England, Scotland, and Wales.