Rough roads costing motorists hundreds more per year
- Automated-higway research meets the road. Schofield, Julie Anne // Design News;10/6/97, Vol. 53 Issue 19, p56
Presents information on the Automated Highway System (AHS) Consortium's Demo 97 where six scenarios were delivered of what driving might be like in twenty years. Who delivered the information; Reference to a two buses which were part of the demonstration; Purpose of these buses; Conclusion reached.
- Highways in spectre. // Commercial Motor;11/9/2006, Vol. 204 Issue 5203, p66
The article deals with a survey concerning the scary roads in Great Britain. Top of the list was the M6 where apparently drivers have seen everything from Roman soldiers to a phantom truck driving the wrong way down the carriageway although given the driving habits of some of our colleagues from...
- DOWN SOUTH AMERICA WAY. Shiers, Will // Motor Transport;10/6/2005, p24
Examines the roads and driving standards in the Mato Grosso region in Brazil. Conditions of the road that serves as the main trunking route; Impact of road conditions on hauliers according to local transport minister Luiz Antonio Pagot; Capability of the Iveco EuroTech truck to cope with the...
- Confessing to Road Rage. Eppley, George // Human Development;Fall2005, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p48
Shares the author's experience of how road rage took over his better judgment. Traumatic effects of a rear-end collision; Road rage scene in "Oedipus the King," a play written by Sophocles in 425 B.C.; Lesson that one student taught the author about the folly of road rage.
- Driving in Delhi: chaos of cars, carts, and cows. Marquand, Robert // Christian Science Monitor;8/18/99, Vol. 91 Issue 184, p1
Focuses on the driving conditions in New Delhi, India. Issue of the rapid proliferation of the Very Very Important Person (VVIP) vehicles; Specific problems of Delhi's road patterns; How many drivers have no licenses, are not literate and don't know the traffic laws.
- Be prepared for 25% rise on A170 at Sutton Bank. // Commercial Motor;1/25/2007, Vol. 205 Issue 5213, p19
The article reports on a campaign launched by North Yorkshire County Council, North Yorkshire Police and the Freight Transport Association (FTA) to alert large goods vehicle (LGV) drivers to the problems they could face when they encounter steep climbs such as the A170 at Sutton Bank in North...
- 42 Traverse -- the backgroud. Pincock, Mark // NZ 4WD;Feb2013, Vol. 17 Issue 10, p16
The article presents information on the four-wheel drive community of New Zealand on the 42-Traverse, an old logging road in Tongariro Forest. It aims to educated the 4WD community on the logging road located in the central plateau of the North Island. The effort that has gone into re-opening...
- DRIVER OPINIONS AND REPORTED PERFORMANCE UNDER VARIOUS INTERCHANGE MARKING AND NIGHTTIME VISIBILITY CONDITIONS. Dunnette, Marvin D. // Journal of Applied Psychology;Jun91, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p170
The article outlines a study on driver opinions and performance subject to various interchange marking and nighttime visibility conditions. According to the author, driving conditions during the night offer special problems of visibility particularly on highway intersections. He added that...
- UNFOLDING THE NATION. Yagoda, Ben // American Heritage;Apr88, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p34
Focuses on the use of road maps in driving. When the 'Chicago Times-Herald' sponsored a road race and printed a rough diagram of the race in the paper, serving as the first American automobile road map; Number of cars registered in the United States by the year 1915, suggesting a need for road...