Lake Tahoe's Temporary Development Moratorium: Why a Stitch in Time Should Not Define the Property Interest in a Takings Claim
- EDITOR'S NOTE: November Surprise. Hanscom, Greg // High Country News;7/24/2006, Vol. 38 Issue 13, p2
The article argues that supporters of land-use planning in six Western states had better tell their stories now if they want to have a chance in November 2006. Some of the visionary land-use regulations in the U.S. have been rendered powerless because of the approval of Measure 37, the mother of...
- Asking God to Solve Our Problems: Citizen Environmental Suit Legislation in the Western States. DiMento, Joseph // UCLA Journal of Environmental Law & Policy;1982, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p169
The article focuses on state environmental citizen suit legislation in the Western States. The author states that the generic term citizen suit law received considerable attention in the late 1960's and early 1970's which is a legal innovation that was not well-received in the West. It notes...
- Eminent domain. Patel, Purushottam H. // Appraisal Journal;Jan1995, Vol. 63 Issue 1, p91
Explores the complexities associated with the issue of eminent domain by Taking; Compensation; Inverse condemnation; Types of taking.
- Appraisal methods and regulatory takings: New directions for appraisers, judges, and economists. Walter, William S. // Appraisal Journal;Jul95, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p331
Explores the application of appraisal, economic and financial analysis by courts in takings cases. Explanation of four economic factors used by courts; Court opinion screening methodology; Criticisms in current application of diminution in fair market value methodology; Alternative...
- Property takings grab lawmakers attention. Johnson, Alan // Crain's Cleveland Business;05/19/97, Vol. 18 Issue 20, p9
Presents information on `takings' which are of emphasis in the General Assembly in Columbus, Ohio, due to the debate by state legislators of property takings by the government. Continuous debate over how to deregulate the state electric industry; What is included in deregulation; Comments from...
- An essay on takings. Innes, Robert // Choices: The Magazine of Food, Farm & Resource Issues;1995 1st Quarter, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p4
Discusses the economic arguments about the application of the takings clause and relates these arguments to the Supreme Court decisions `Lucas v. South Carolina Coastal Council' and `Dolan v. City of Tigard'. Legal landscape; Economic efficiency; Issues of distribution or fairness; Government...
- Cattle Raisers: Special Session Should Include Eminent Domain. // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);6/17/2009, Vol. 26 Issue 24, p1
The article reports on the call for the inclusion of eminent domain to the list of issues that should be discussed by the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raiser Association (TSCRA) to Governor Rick Perry if the legislature will call for a special session.
- The mall's expanding and you're evicted. Mansnerus, Laura // U.S. News & World Report;09/15/97, Vol. 123 Issue 10, p43
Examines the saga in Hurst, Texas, a suburb of Fort Worth, where the local government had to choose between a few hundred of its citizens and its biggest taxpayer, the North East Mall, which wanted to expand. The legal battle, proposed by angry homeowners, over whether a city can condemn sound...
- Florida: Developers lobby for bill. Elder, Maria K. // Planning;Mar94, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p5
Reports on the takings bill pushed by real estate, agricultural and home owners sectors in Florida. Bill provisions; Apprehensions of concerned sectors; Plans to form a coalition to fight the bill.