Pharmacotherapeutic disparities: Racial, ethnic, and sex variations in medication treatment
- Decline in US Breast Cancer Rates After the Women's Health Initiative: Socioeconomic and Racial/Ethnic Differentials. Krieger, Nancy; Chen, Jarvis T.; Waterman, Pamela D. // American Journal of Public Health;Apr2010 Supplement, Vol. 100 Issue S1, pS132
Objectives. We investigated whether there were socioeconomic and racial/ ethnic disparities in recent reported declines in overall US breast cancer incidence rates attributed to post-2002 declines in hormone therapy use following publication of the Women's Health Initiative study. Methods. We...
- Gender Differences in Smoking and Self Reported Indicators of Health. Kirkland, Susan; Greaves, Lorraine; Devichand, Pratima // BMC Women's Health;2004 Supplement 1, Vol. 4, pS7
Health Issue: Smoking among Canadian women is a serious public health issue. Using the 1998-99 National Population Health Survey, this study examined underlying factors contributing to differences in prevalence of smoking among subgroups of women and men, and its effects on self-reported...
- Variations in Health and Health Behaviors by Nativity Among Pregnant Black Women in Philadelphia. Elo, Irma T.; Culhane, Jennifer F. // American Journal of Public Health;Nov2010, Vol. 100 Issue 11, p2185
Objectives. We compared health behaviors and health outcomes among US-born, African-born, and Caribbean-born pregnant Black women and examined whether sociodemographic and psychosocial characteristics explained differences among these population subgroups. Methods. We analyzed data from a...
- When the 'race and gender stuff' seems too hard. Coponi, Gena Dagel // Christian Science Monitor;12/8/97, Vol. 90 Issue 9, p15
Opinion. Looks at a conversation between a woman college assistant professor and college student who identifies with Anglo culture about classroom discussions on ethnicity and gender. His plan to go into human resources.
- Inequalities in maternal health. Pollock, Wendy; King, James F. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;3/21/2009, p670
The authors reflect on inequalities in maternal health that are found between pregnant white women and minority women. They suggest that the routine collection of detailed data on the differences in maternal health that are seen between white and minority women is the key to improving maternal...
- Gender Differences with Anticoagulation Discontinuation. // Critical Care Alert;Oct2008 Pharmacology Watch, p1
The article discusses gender differences with discontinuation of anticoagulation after unprovoked venous thromboembolism.
- Gender-specific research underway. // Total Health;Mar/Apr97, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p12
Introduces the Partnership for Women's Health at Columbia University that will focus on a new concept called gender-specific medicine. Who introduced the initiative; Implication of the initiative.
- Inequalities in participation in an organized national colorectal cancer screening programme: results from the first 2.6 million invitations in England. von Wagner, Christian; Baio, Gianluca; Raine, Rosalind; Snowball, Julia; Morris, Stephen; Atkin, Wendy; Obichere, Austin; Handley, Graham; Logan, Richard F; Rainbow, Sandra; Smith, Stephen; Halloran, Stephen; Wardle, Jane // International Journal of Epidemiology;Jun2011, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p712
Background:An organized, population-based, colorectal cancer screening programme was initiated in England in 2006 offering biennial faecal occult blood testing (FOBT) to adults aged 60-69 years. Organized screening programmes with no associated financial costs to the individual...
- Racial and ethnic disparities in Latin America and the Caribbean: a literature review. Giuffrida, Antonio // Diversity in Health & Care;2010, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p115
This paper presents a review of the literature on ethnic and racial disparities in health in Latin America and the Caribbean. It begins by describing the concepts of race, ethnicity and indigeneity, and provides demographic estimates of indigenous and Afro-descendant populations in the region....