MILLENNIALISM IN AMERICA: RECENT STUDIES
- Time, Culture, and Christian Eschatology: The Year 2000 in the West and the World. Cohen, Paul A. // American Historical Review;Dec99, Vol. 104 Issue 5, p1615
Surveys studies of millenialism and suggests some of the cultural limitations of the millennial moment. Problem with the Year 2000; How people feel about the advent of the new millennium; Commercial efforts to cash in on the event.
- Christian Mission and the End of Time. Bonk, Jonathan J. // International Bulletin of Missionary Research;Jul2009, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p113
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by William Sherden on the modern prophecy industry of human anxiety, one by Edward Rommen about the Christian interpretation of biblical eschatology, and one by Michael Pocock on the influence of premillennialism.
- Millennial Fever Growing. // Skeptic;1999, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p9
Focuses on people's fears about and preparations for the millennium. December 31, 2000 as the accurate start of the millennium; Predictions about space travel; Fears about terrorism.
- Millennarian fever to grip the nation? Murray, Iain // Marketing Week;1/14/1999, Vol. 21 Issue 44, p118
Discusses various reasons why there is no need to panic as the year 2000 approaches. Some soothsayers' prediction of excitement and danger for the year 1999; Importance of keeping one's composure despite of the threatening predictions.
- The millennium (or the years beginning in `2'). Members, NCEW // Masthead;Spring2000, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p20
Focuses on the views of editorial writers with regards on the end of the 20th century. Alane S. Megna of `The Leaf-Chronicle'; Robert White of `Cincinnati Post'; Lanny Keller of `The Advocate.'
- The Secret. Emmerson, Richad K. // American Historical Review;Dec99, Vol. 104 Issue 5, p1603
Emphasizes that the interpretative and linguistic problems that must be addressed in every attempt to understand millenarian movements on their own terms. Criticisms on the essay of Stanley Fish `Normal Circumstances, Literal Language, Direct Speech Acts, the Ordinary, the Everyday, the...
- Millennial madness, Jerusalem jitters. Ackerman, Elise; Koerner, Brendan I. // U.S. News & World Report;01/18/99, Vol. 126 Issue 2, p32
Reports that several millennial groups are moving to Jerusalem, Israel to prepare for the coming of the millennium. Arrest of the Denver, Colorado based cult called Concerned Christians in Jerusalem for suspected plans of violence; Views of Avi Granot of the Israeli Embassy in Washington, D.C.;...
- Dawn of the pilgrim age McAdam, Jad // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/21/99-01/04/2000, Vol. 117 Issue 6205, p32
Focuses on the large number of visitors expected to make a pilgrimage to Israel around the turn of the 21st century. Concerns about the mental state of some devout groups and individuals; Steps taken by Israel security to prepare for religious hysteria and other problems; Israel's promotion of...
- Armageddon is coming. Birmingham, John // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/21/99-01/04/2000, Vol. 117 Issue 6205, p60
Discusses millennialism and predications of Armageddon. Many predictions of a September 1999 end to the world; How the only noteworthy September event was the violence in East Timor; Christian Rapture and its role in millennialism; Reasons behind the popularity of predictions of the end of the...