MILLENNIALISM IN AMERICA: RECENT STUDIES
- Christian Mission and the End of Time. Bonk, Jonathan J. // International Bulletin of Missionary Research;Jul2009, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p113
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by William Sherden on the modern prophecy industry of human anxiety, one by Edward Rommen about the Christian interpretation of biblical eschatology, and one by Michael Pocock on the influence of premillennialism.
- Time, Culture, and Christian Eschatology: The Year 2000 in the West and the World. Cohen, Paul A. // American Historical Review;Dec99, Vol. 104 Issue 5, p1615
Surveys studies of millenialism and suggests some of the cultural limitations of the millennial moment. Problem with the Year 2000; How people feel about the advent of the new millennium; Commercial efforts to cash in on the event.
- Millennial Fever Growing. // Skeptic;1999, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p9
Focuses on people's fears about and preparations for the millennium. December 31, 2000 as the accurate start of the millennium; Predictions about space travel; Fears about terrorism.
- Millennarian fever to grip the nation? Murray, Iain // Marketing Week (01419285);1/14/1999, Vol. 21 Issue 44, p118
Discusses various reasons why there is no need to panic as the year 2000 approaches. Some soothsayers' prediction of excitement and danger for the year 1999; Importance of keeping one's composure despite of the threatening predictions.
- Millennial madness, Jerusalem jitters. Ackerman, Elise; Koerner, Brendan I. // U.S. News & World Report;01/18/99, Vol. 126 Issue 2, p32
Reports that several millennial groups are moving to Jerusalem, Israel to prepare for the coming of the millennium. Arrest of the Denver, Colorado based cult called Concerned Christians in Jerusalem for suspected plans of violence; Views of Avi Granot of the Israeli Embassy in Washington, D.C.;...
- The millennium (or the years beginning in `2'). Members, NCEW // Masthead;Spring2000, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p20
Focuses on the views of editorial writers with regards on the end of the 20th century. Alane S. Megna of `The Leaf-Chronicle'; Robert White of `Cincinnati Post'; Lanny Keller of `The Advocate.'
- The Secret. Emmerson, Richad K. // American Historical Review;Dec99, Vol. 104 Issue 5, p1603
Emphasizes that the interpretative and linguistic problems that must be addressed in every attempt to understand millenarian movements on their own terms. Criticisms on the essay of Stanley Fish `Normal Circumstances, Literal Language, Direct Speech Acts, the Ordinary, the Everyday, the...
- Pentecostal Eschatology Revisited. Balfour, Glenn // JEPTA: Journal of the European Pentecostal Theological Associati;2011, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p127
The author identifies three eschatological positions that have become associated with Classical Pentecostalism: imminent futurist eschatology, premillennialism, and eschatological significance attached to the nation state of Israel. These may be described as Pentecostal eschatological...
- PRE- AND POSTMILLENNIALISM. // Armageddon Now;2006, p326
The article provides an overview on millennialism. According to the book of Revelation, millennialism is the belief that Jesus Christ will return to earth and reign for a thousand years. Postmillennialism expects the proclaiming of the Spirit-based gospel of Jesus Christ to win the vast majority...