Teaching Food Safety Skills to Students With Disabilities
Tags: STUDENTS with disabilities -- Education; COOKING -- Study & teaching; FOOD service -- Study & teaching; COOKING -- Safety measures; LIFE skills -- Study & teaching; SPECIAL education teachers; FOOD handling; ACTIVITY programs in special education
- Filling the shoes of the `differently abled'. // Curriculum Review;Sep96, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p8
Reports on the program `I'm Not Disabled, Just Differently Abled,' for children with disabilities at the Wilson Middle School in Plano, Texas. Assignment of students to complete six basic functions; Reading of novels by eighth-graders; Feature of handicapped guest speakers.
- Completely fanstastic. Hearn, Hariklia // Primary Educator;1998, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p7
Focuses on the inclusion of disabled children into mainstream schools and classrooms in Tasmania. Challenges associated with teaching these children; Excitement associated with teaching children with disabilities; Details on the experiences of a teacher within a junior secondary music class...
- Competitions and Exceptional Children. Riley, Tracy L.; Karnes, Frances A. // Teaching Exceptional Children;May/Jun99, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p80
Discusses the importance of involvement of handicapped students in competitions. Recommended steps in preparing handicapped students for involvement in competition; Benefits of allowing handicapped students get involved in competitions.
- Teaching middle school students with learning disabilities to recruit positive teacher attention. Alber, Sheila R.; Heward, William L. // Exceptional Children;Winter99, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p253
Examines the impact of the recruitment training program on the academic and social productivity of students with learning disabilities in the United States. Recruitment of teacher attention; Involvement of special and general education teachers in recruitment training programs; Suggestions for...
- Special class runs recycling program at middle school. // Curriculum Review;Dec91, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p13
Focuses on a special education class for behaviorally handicapped students at Tallmadge Middle School in Tallmadge, Ohio, that expanded their science into a full-scale recycling program. What the students do after studying environmental issues in class; Things they do to spread the word about...
- Going Beyond "The Math Wars". Cole, Jane E.; Wasburn-Moses, Leah H. // Teaching Exceptional Children;Mar/Apr2010, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p14
The article discusses some of the challenges of teaching math to students with disabilities and offers different teaching strategies for overcoming those challenges. Mathematics professionals have been transitioning away from a direct instruction model of teaching math to the more...
- The disproportionate representation of minority students in special education: Responding to the... Valles, Eugene C. // Journal of Special Education;Spring98, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p52
Identifies steps teacher trainers in special and general education should consider to incorporate in the preservice training programs in addressing the over- and underrepresentation of minority students in special education programs. Incorporation of multicultural and bilingual education...
- Meaningful reading instruction for learners with special needs. Sears, Sue; Carpenter, Cathy // Reading Teacher;May94, Vol. 47 Issue 8, p632
Describes the development and implementation of meaning-based reading instruction for students with special learning needs. Implementation of techniques of assisted reading, informal assessment and contextualized strategy instruction; Description of typical session with teacher's preparation...
- Teachers' Reported Transition Practices for Children Transitioning into Kindergarten and First... La Paro, Karen M.; Pianta, Robert C. // Exceptional Children;Fall2000, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p7
Studies kindergarten teachers' transition practices for children with special needs. Transition activities used by teachers; Factors facilitating the transition process for children and families; Needs and resources of special children during transition.