The association between alcohol use, alcohol use disorders and tuberculosis (TB). A systematic review
- Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices of Physicians in Tomsk Oblast Tuberculosis Services Regarding Alcohol Use Among Tuberculosis Patients in Tomsk, Russia. Mathew, Trini A.; Shields, Alan L.; Imasheva, Aizhan; Shin, Sonya S.; Mishustin, Sergey P.; Peremitin, Gennady G.; Strelis, Aivar K.; Yanova, Galina V.; Greenfield, Shelly F.; Furin, Jennifer J. // Culture, Medicine & Psychiatry;Dec2009, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p523
In recent years, the Russian Federation has seen a dramatic rise in morbidity and mortality from tuberculosis (TB), attributed in part to an increase in alcohol use disorders (AUDs), which are associated with worse TB treatment outcomes. This study describes the knowledge, attitudes and...
- Has mortality related to alcohol decreased in Sweden? Romelsjo, Anders; Agren, Gunnar // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);7/20/1985, Vol. 291 Issue 6489, p167
Presents a study on the mortality rate related to alcohol in Sweden. Effects of a decrease in the consumption of alcohol on deaths related to alcohol; Information on live cirrhosis and pancreatitis; Diagnosis of alcoholic psychosis, alcoholism and alcohol intoxication in persons with...
- Alcohol and the emergency service patient. Holt, S.; Stewart, I.C.; Dixon, J.M.; Elton, R.A.; Taylor, T.V.; Little, K. // British Medical Journal;9/6/1980, Vol. 281 Issue 6241, p638
Determines the prevalence of alcohol use in casualty patients breath-alcohol analysis. Role of alcohol abuse in mortality and morbidity from road traffic, industrial and recreational accidents; Unreliability of clinical diagnosis of alcohol intoxification; Effects of alcohol on...
- Alcohol Use Disorders (AUD) among Tuberculosis Patients: A Study from Chennai, South India. Suhadev, Mohanarani; Thomas, Beena E.; Sakthivel, M. Raja; Murugesan, P.; Chandrasekaran, V.; Charles, Niruparani; Durga, R.; Auxilia, M.; Mathew, Trini A.; Wares, Fraser // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p1
Background: Alcohol Use Disorders (AUDs) among tuberculosis (TB) patients are associated with nonadherence and poor treatment outcomes. Studies from Tuberculosis Research Centre (TRC), Chennai have reported that alcoholism has been one of the major reasons for default and mortality in under the...
- Impact of Diabetes and Smoking on Mortality in Tuberculosis. Reed, George W.; Choi, Hongjo; Lee, So Young; Lee, Myungsun; Kim, Youngran; Park, Hyemi; Lee, Jongseok; Zhan, Xin; Kang, Hyeungseok; Hwang, SooHee; Carroll, Matthew; Cai, Ying; Cho, Sang-Nae; Barry III, Clifton E.; Via, Laura E.; Kornfeld, Hardy // PLoS ONE;Feb2013, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p1
Background: Diabetes mellitus is a risk factor for tuberculosis (TB) disease. There is evidence that diabetes also influences TB severity and treatment outcomes but information is incomplete and some published results have been inconsistent. Methods: A longitudinal cohort study was...
- Are there net health benefits from moderate drinking? All-cause mortality. Anderson, Peter // Contemporary Drug Problems;Spring94, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p143
Focuses on the relationship between alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality. Measure of individual alcohol consumption; Measure of individual risk of mortality related to alcohol consumption; Aggregate risk for the whole population.
- Alcohol-related deaths: Birmingham Coroner's records 1980. Whittington, R.M. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);4/17/1982, Vol. 284 Issue 6323, p1162
Investigates the statistics of alcohol-related deaths in Birmingham, England. Reference made on the Coroner's records in 1980; Relation of deaths to the consumption of alcohol; Variation on alcohol consumption of different ethnic groups.
- Alcohol use and mortality rates from various causes. Kirchner, Jeffrey T. // American Family Physician;5/1/1998, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p2227
Presents information on an assessment of the relationship of death rates from various causes and alcohol consumption in American adults. Indication that there are higher death rates of persons who consume alcohol; How the study was conducted; Statistical information representing the study.
- Alcohol and Mortality. Klatsky, Arthur L.; Friedman, Gary D.; Siegelaub, Abraham B. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Aug81, Vol. 95 Issue 2, p139
Presents a study on 10-year mortality in relation to baseline alcohol use habits among four groups of 2,015 persons, well matched for age, sex, race and cigarette smoking. Analysis of cause of death according to alcohol habit; Cigarette use among the heavier drinkers; Mortality according to...