The cutoff values of visceral fat area and waist circumference for identifying subjects at risk for metabolic syndrome in elderly Korean: Ansan Geriatric (AGE) cohort study
- Body Size Phenotypes and Inflammation in the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. Wildman, Rachel P.; Kaplan, Robert; Manson, JoAnn E.; Rajkovic, Aleksandar; Connelly, Stephanie A.; Mackey, Rachel H.; Tinker, Lesley F.; Curb, J. David; Eaton, Charles B.; Wassertheil-Smoller, Sylvia // Obesity (19307381);Jul2011, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p1482
Individuals with 'metabolically benign' obesity (obesity unaccompanied by hypertension, dyslipidemia, and diabetes) are not at elevated 10-year risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) compared to normal weight individuals. It remains unclear whether these obese individuals or normal weight...
- Vitamin D, Parathyroid Hormone Levels, and the Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome in Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Reis, Jared P.; Von Mühlen, Denise; Kritz-Silverstein, Donna; Wingard, Deborah L.; Barrett-Connor, Elizabeth // Diabetes Care;Jun2007, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p1549
OBJECTIVE -- Accumulating research suggests low-circulating vitamin D concentrations, i.e., 25-hydroxyvitamin-D [25(OH)D], may be associated with an increased prevalence of the metabolic syndrome; however, previous studies have not accounted for parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels. We examined the...
- Chronic Kidney Disease in Non-Diabetic Older Adults: Associated Roles of the Metabolic Syndrome, Inflammation, and Insulin Resistance. Zammit, Andrea R.; Katz, Mindy J.; Derby, Carol; Bitzer, Markus; Lipton, Richard B. // PLoS ONE;10/2/2015, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p1
Background: The aims of the study were to examine the association between CKD and the metabolic syndrome (MetS) and its components in older adults. We also explored two possible pathways linking the metabolic syndrome with CKD: inflammation as measured by high sensitivity C-Reactive Protein...
- Association of Vaspin with Metabolic Syndrome: The Pivotal Role of Insulin Resistance (Diabetes Metab J 2014;38:143-9). Sung Hee Choi // Diabetes & Metabolism Journal;Jun2014, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p240
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Association of vaspin with MS: the pivotal role of insulin resistance" by Esteghamati et al in a previous issue.
- Association of Vaspin with Metabolic Syndrome: The Pivotal Role of Insulin Resistance (Diabetes Metab J 2014;38:143-9). Esteghamati, Alireza; Noshad, Sina; Mousavizadeh, Mostafa; Zandieh, Ali; Nakhjavani, Manouchehr // Diabetes & Metabolism Journal;Jun2014, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p242
A response from the author of the article "Vaspin with Metabolic Syndrome: The Pivotal Role of Insulin Resistance" is presented.
- Metabolic syndrome and erectile dysfunction: the ultrasound evaluation of cavernosal atherosclerosis. // Current Medical Literature: Diabetes;2011, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p154
The article presents a study on metabolic syndrome and erectile dysfunction (ED) in men with diabetes through an ultrasound evaluation of cavernosal atherosclerosis where findings suggested that men whose complaints are mainly ED should undergo screening for components of metabolic syndrome.
- CORRECTION. // Journal of Gastrointestinal & Liver Diseases;Sep2014, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p350
A correction to the article "Metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, circadian disruption, antioxidants and pancreatic carcinoma: an overview" that was published in the 2014 issue is presented.
- NHANES data emphasized importance of diet and exercise in adolescent health. // Infectious Diseases in Children;May2009, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p27
The article focuses on data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey which indicated that promoting low sugar-sweetened beverage intake may improve overall health among adolescents and may help curb childhood obesity, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
- Association of Serum Ferritin Levels with Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin Resistance. PADWAL, MEGHANA. K.; MURSHID, MOHSIN; NIRMALE, PRACHEE; MELINKERI, R. R. // Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research;Sep2015, Vol. 9 Issue 9, p11
Introduction: The impact of CVDs and Type II DM is increasing over the last decade. It has been estimated that by 2025 their incidence will double. Ferritin is one of the key proteins regulating iron homeostasis and is a widely available clinical biomarker of iron status. Some studies suggest...