Catalysts, Composites, and Better Pistons & Parts
- Cold rolled: Bend, stamp and fold. Barone, Charlie // Automotive Body Repair News;Oct99, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p49
Explains the importance of intrinsic properties of sheet-metal to the overall quality of the material's use in automobile parts. Recognition of the qualities of cold rolled sheet-metals as automotive materials; Questions to consider when evaluating the quality of sheet metals.
- PM on the rise. Wrigley, Al // Automotive Manufacturing & Production;Jan1998, Vol. 110 Issue 1, p22
Reports on the growth of the powder metal (PM) parts-making business. Applications of PM in the automobile industry; Starting of development work on magnesium alloys for nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries in electric vehicles; Advantages of magnesium-based alloys in powder form over...
- FUNCTIONALLY GRADED ALUMINUM-MATRIX COMPOSITES. Kevorkijan, Varu&acaron;n // American Ceramic Society Bulletin;Feb2003, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p60
Focuses on the application of aluminum-metal-matrix composites in lightweight automotive structures. Enhancement of safety and vehicle performance; Optimal use of aluminum based materials; Redevelopment of automotive components.
- Operations roundup. // Foundry Management & Technology;Dec98, Vol. 126 Issue 12, p43
Focuses on Zollner Piston's automation of a casting cell the produces pistons for 7.3 liter Navistar vehicles. Incorporation of a Motoman SK45 robot and MRC controller; Incentives for using robotics; Training of mold makers to program and operate robots.
- International alert. // Advanced Materials & Processes;Feb98, Vol. 153 Issue 2, p36H
Presents international news on the heat treatment of industrial metal parts. Hardenability of alloyed ductile irons; Induction heat treatment of automobile components at Volga automobile plant (VAP); Use of natural gas conversion catalyst for endogas production at the VAP; Influence of...
- Rubber adhesives. // Rubber World;Nov2005, Vol. 233 Issue 2, p56
The article provides information on the Chemlok 6253 rubber-to-metal adhesive and four aqueous adhesive products for the rubber industry. Chemlok 6243 was developed for the higher performance requirements for under-the-hood automotive anti-vibration components. In addition, it can be used for...
- More mettle for sheet metal. Palmer, Timothy; Hoffman, Jean M. // Machine Design;4/1/2004, Vol. 76 Issue 7, p76
Provides information on the plastic/metal hybrid technology. Details of the first commercial part that used the technology; Use of plastic/metal parts for the grille opening reinforcement on the 2000 Focus automobile from Ford Motor Co.; Procedures in producing a plastic/metal hybrid component;...
- Automated Heat Treatment of Lightweight Aluminum Automotive Structural Components. Donofrio, Tim // Industrial Heating;Feb2013, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p39
The article offers information on the automated heat treatment of lightweight aluminum materials and components for the integration into automotive application. Automakers seek to integrated new lightweight technologies in order to reduce fuel consumption for their vehicles. Weight-reduction...
- Technologies for Smart Windows. Rudolph, Stephen E.; Dieckmann, John; ^Brodrick, James // ASHRAE Journal;Jul2009, Vol. 51 Issue 7, p104
The article discusses the use of electrochromic (EC) glass in smart windows which can be adjusted to modulate the amount of light which enters the room. It states that EC has proven to be effective especially in its use in self-dimming automobile mirrors with the help of electrical energy to...