Review: High-dose oral vitamin D supplements and active vitamin D prevent falls in older persons
- High-dose vitamin D reduces risk of falls. // Pulse;10/7/2009, Vol. 69 Issue 31, p16
The article reports on the therapeutic effect of giving high-dose of Vitamin D to older patients in Great Britain. According to a study, prescribing a daily dose of 1,000 international unit (IU) of Vitamin D to older patients reduces risk of falls. It indicates that Vitamin D's direct effect on...
- Vitamin D may reduce nursing home falls. Bakshis, Brett // McKnight's Long-Term Care News;Mar2010, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p6
The article reports on the study which found that taking vitamin D supplements could reduce the incidence of falls among nursing home residents.
- Medication review and vitamin D cost effective in elderly. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;Aug2015, Vol. 734 Issue 1, p19
The article reports on the study by J. L. Church and colleagues which found that annual medication reviews and vitamin D supplementation are cost effective strategies for the prevention of falls in people living in residential aged care facilities in Australia.
- Interventions for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Chang, John T.; Morton, Sally C.; Rubenstein, Laurence Z.; Mojica, Walter A.; Maglione, Margaret; Suttorp, Marika J.; Roth, Elizabeth A.; Shekelle, Paul G. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);3/20/2004, Vol. 328 Issue 7441, p680
Abstract Objective To assess the relative effectiveness of interventions to prevent falls in older adults to either a usual care group or control group. Design Systematic review and meta-analyses. Data sources Medline, HealthSTAR, Embase, the Cochrane Library, other health related databases, and...
- Most Multivitamin Extras Don't Add Up. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Feb2010, Vol. 27 Issue 12, preceding p5
The article examines the claims of multivitamins manufacturers that extra ingredients could boost the appeal of older adults. According to Heike A. Bischoff-Ferrari of the University Hospital Zurich in Switzerland, hip fractures prevention demands 700-800 milligrams of calcium a day and 800...
- Vitamin D for older people reduces rate of falls. // Pulse;1/27/2010, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p11
The article reports on the Cochrane Collaboration study which found that vitamin D supplementation for older people reduces their rate of falls.
- USPSTF: Exercise, vitamin D prevented falls in elderly. // Endocrine Today;Jun2012, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p48
The article focuses on the impact of exercise and vitamin D supplementation on preventing falls in adults 65 years old and above, referencing to a study conducted by researcher Virginia A. Moyer and colleagues, published in a 2012 issue of the journal "Annals of Internal Medicine."
- Sunshine Reduces Falls in Elderly. // Australasian Science;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p10
The article highlights a 2011 study by Jasmine Menant of Neuroscience Research Australia which reveals that sunshine and vitamin D can help older people maintain their strength and cognitive abilities and thereby minimize risks of falls and fall-related injuries.
- Rate of falls reduced by taking vitamin D, research finds. // Nursing Older People;Mar2010, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p6
The article focuses on the Cochrane Review of 41 controlled trials which revealed that vitamin D intake can reduce the rate of falls in older people by about 28%.