Know the News
- Lawmakers want Haitian children to be priority. Barker, Cyril Josh // New York Amsterdam News;1/28/2010, Vol. 101 Issue 5, p2
The article reports on the plans of several U.S. lawmakers to help thousands of Haitian children who were affected by the earthquake on January 12, 2010.
- Haiti: Senate Clears $2.8 Billion in Aid For Post-Quake Work. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;6/7/2010, Vol. 264 Issue 17, p9
The article reports on the status of funding bills to help Haiti recover and rebuild from the January 12, 2010 earthquake in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives as of June 7, 2010.
- Acts Approved by the President. Obama, Barack H. // Daily Compilation of Presidential Documents;10/1/2010, Special section p1
A list of several Acts approved by U.S. President Barack Obama is presented, including the Emergency Aid to American Survivors of the Haiti Earthquake Act, another accelerating the income tax benefits for charitable cash contributions for the relief of victims of the Haiti eathquake, and the...
- What you should know about Haitian donations and the IRS. Grill Jr., Norman G. // Fairfield County Business Journal;2/22/2010, Vol. 49 Issue 8, p22
The article offers information about H.R. 4462 or An Act to Accelerate the Income Tax Benefits for Charitable Cash Contributions for the Relief of Victims of the Earthquake in Haiti, which was signed into law by U.S. President Barack Obama on January 22, 2010.
- Haiti rebounds. Boyd, Herb // New York Amsterdam News;2/18/2010, Vol. 101 Issue 8, p4
The article discusses the destruction in Haiti with 7.0 magnitude earthquake which devastates buildings and establishments in Port-au-Prince. Haiti's Minister of Tourism Patrick Delatour states that several buildings were destroyed due to poor consideration of building codes and specifications....
- NEW YORK, NEW YORK . Block, Valerie // Crain's New York Business;2/1/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p6
The article offers news briefs related to New York. Intrepid sea-air-space museum president Bill White has sent 300,000 pounds of lifesaving supplies for earthquake relief in Haiti, and three real estate developers raised more than 100,000 dollar to fund the mission. The U.S. Supreme Court has...
- Teachable Moment Materials: Earthquakes. // NSTA Express;1/18/2010, p1
The article reports on the availability of teachable moment materials for the devastating earthquake that hit Haiti.
- The Rescuers. Shaw, Michael // BAGnewsNotes;1/15/2010, p2
A photograph of a 3-month-old baby found alive in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, which was hit by earthquake in January 2011, is presented.
- Haiti: One Year Later. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;1/10/2011, Vol. 73 Issue 13, p6
The article examines the condition of Haiti one year after the earthquake that led to the death of more than 220,000 people on January 12, 2010.