Financial Literacy Lacking Among Older Population
- The prospects for solidarity between generations. Peck, Bryan T. // Phi Delta Kappan;Nov93, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p276
Discusses issues on senior citizens in Europe with the declaration of 1993 as `European Year of Older people and Solidarity Between Generations'. Graying of Europe; Implications of demographic changes; Actions by European Commission (EC); Priority to continuing education; Opportunities in...
- They have yarns: Writing with the active elderly. Kazemek, Francis E. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Apr97, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p516
Presents tips on how to conduct writing workshops with the elderly. Specific strategies and recommendations; Catalysts for writing; Reaching a wider audience.
- Gerontology program succeeds in Boston. // Adult Learning;Apr92, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p22
Discusses the successes of the gerontology program at the University of Massachusetts at Boston. The grant from the US Administration on Aging in 1979; Underproductivity in the elderly; The Massachusetts Association of Older Americans (MAOA); Features that distinguished the program from a...
- Learning. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Jan1995, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p6
Presents principles for older people to follow in learning new information and skills. Comparison of things being learned with that already known; Paraphrasing; Identification of key words. INSET: Try these new tricks..
- Time and Learning. // South African Journal of Psychology;Dec2000, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p6
The purpose behind the (ongoing) work reported on in this paper is to develop a productive educational response to the problem of older learners who return to formal schooling after a period of absence, or enter it for the first time; ï¿½olderï¿½ in the sense of being at least three years...
- ELDERHOSTEL SERVES THE CHANGING EDUCATIONAL GOALS OF SENIORS. Culbertson, Jeanne // Ageing International;Fall/Winter98, Vol. 24 Issue 2/3, p126
Provides information on elderhostels. Principles underlying the operation of elderhostels; Activities and programs offered by elderhostels to older adults; Significance of elderhostels for older adults.
- Health care and consumer control: Pittsburgh's town meeting for seniors. Rubin, Fred H.; Black, Judith S. // Gerontologist;Dec92, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p853
Discusses the semiannual Town Meeting for Seniors in Pittsburgh, designed to provide community-based health education so that seniors can make informed decisions not only about medical care, but also about issues such as Medigap insurance, advance directives, and proper nutrition. The setting;...
- Tech schools offer choices for retirees. Lightsey, Ed // Georgia Trend;Oct97, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p67
Presents information on senior citizens and the introduction of courses offered at Georgia's vocational-technical schools. Information on types of courses offered; Comments from Richard Greenman, director of Business and Industry Services at Gwinnett Technical Institute; Possibility of Gardening...
- Rex. Ajamian, Courtney // Teen Ink;Jan2009, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p35
The author focuses on her grandfather named Rex who decided to enroll at a community college at the age of 75 years and managed to earn a 4.0 grade point average (GPA).