Why Do The Police Use Deadly Force?
- DETAILING QUESTIONABLE POLICE SHOOTINGS REQUIRED EXTENSIVE SEARCH OF DOCUMENTS. S. Falls, David // IRE Journal;Mar/Apr2002, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p16
Investigates the shootings and brutality by the members of the police department of Prince George's County, Maryland from 1990 through mid-2001.
- Federal Agents Open Inquiry Into Order Authorizing NOPD Cops to Shoot Looters. Fields, Robin // Pro Publica;8/22/2010, p18
The article offers information on the federal investigation of allegations imposed on the police department of New Orleans for killing local citizens under an order to shoot looters in days after Hurrican Katrina in 2005. Though, it is still not clear that from where the order to shoot looters...
- South Africa: Justice a long way off for Marikana miners. DEBEDU, SIYABULELA; Adams, Nalisha // New York Amsterdam News;9/20/2012, Vol. 103 Issue 38, p44
The article reports that according to the sources close to the investigation, the South African Police Service members who were involved in the killing of 34 striking workers at the Marikana mine in North West Province, could face murder charges. More than 70 people were also injured in the...
- Activists shut down Art Basel with anti-violence vigil. PÉREZ, JOSÉ // South Florida Times;12/11/2014, Vol. 24 Issue 50, p3A
The article reports on the anti-violence vigil held by some activists and local artists at the annual Art Basel contemporary art festival in Miami, Florida intended to bring attention to the non-indictment in the police-related death of Eric Garner and teenagers Israel Hernandez and Mike Brown.
- Man shot dead for resisting arrest. // Tibetan Review: The Monthly Magazine on all Aspects of Tibet;Jun2008, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p7
The article reports that Akar Tashi, a resident of Lathok Yuchu Township in Chamdo County, China was shot dead by the police for resisting arrest. According Tibet.net, on May 4, 2008, the police came to arrest Tashi for his involvement in the March protests in Lhasa and other past political...
- Another Bloody Weekend In Chicago. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;8/20/2014, pA12
Malignant Neglect: The president talks about Ferguson, Mo., but not about a Chicago weekend where three dozen people were shot, seven of them killed, including a 16-year-old black girl who wanted to be a doctor.
- Public Enemy Number One. Macintyre, James // New Statesman;4/20/2009, Vol. 138 Issue 4945, p24
In this article the author examines issues arising from police brutality and abuse of police power in Great Britain. Central to the article are the police cover ups that have followed incidents in which innocent civilians have been shot by the police. Also examined is political complicity with...
- Cop Shock. Allison, Luna // Capital Xtra (Ottawa);9/17/2008, Issue 193, p23
The article elaborates on police violence across Canada as sparking outrage. According to the author, because of the shortcomings of the complaints process and the fear of biased investigations or police reprisals, many victims of police brutality and harassment have turned to legal action. The...
- Trial Opens of New Orleans Police Officers Charged in the Danziger Bridge Shootings. Shahani, Aarti // Pro Publica;6/26/2011, p3
The article focuses on the shootings of unarmed civilians by police officers over the Danziger Bridge in New Orleans, Louisiana after hurricane Katrina, and the investigation done into the incident by ProPublica and others as part of the series "Law and Disorder." In the Danziger Bridge murder...