National guidelines offer equivalent safety solutions for commercial vessels
- A More Accurate Method for Predicting the Stresses in a Flat Steel Ribbon Wound Pressure Vessel. Zheng, J Y; Wang, L Q; Zhu, G H; Xu, P // Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers -- Part C;1999, Vol. 213 Issue 8, p787
Flat steel ribbon wound pressure vessels have been adopted by the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Division 1 and Division 2. An excellent safety and service record has been built up in the past 34 years. Based on the interfacial friction model proposed by Zheng , a more...
- Brimble cruise security push. // Travel Daily;5/29/2012, p3
The article reports on the proposal of Diane Brimble's husband to the federal Attorney General and Prime Minister in Australia to push for safety measures which included having police stationed on cruise ships.
- Rogue Wave Theory to Save Ships. // Australasian Science;Oct2015, Vol. 36 Issue 8, p14
The article discusses a 2015 study by Professor Nail Akhmediev of The Australian National University and published in the journal "Proceedings of Royal Society A" that reveals the potential of a rogue wave theory in the development of devices that can warn ships of unforeseen danger.
- Marine menace. Burns, Greg // New Scientist;9/28/91, Vol. 131 Issue 1788, p62
Presents a letter to the editor about safety standards for ships in response to an article in the July 6th edition.
- CAPTAIN'S VIEW. // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;1/19/2012, Issue 2988, p7
The article presents the author's insights regarding the disasters on large cruise ships wherein he mentions that the incidents are caused by navigation errors, not by poor ship designs.
- That Sinking Feeling. Coyle, Jay // Yachting;Jun2012, Vol. 211 Issue 6, p16
The article focuses on several tips about safety measures to prevent ships from sinking in sea including the maintenance of speed, maintenance of leaks and hose fixing.
- OSPOSOBLJAVANJE I POÄŒETCI INSTITUCIONALIZIRANOG OBRAZOVANJA POMORACA NA HRVATSKOM DIJELU JADRANA TIJEKOM XIX. STOLJEÄ†A. Uglešić, Sanda // Radovi Zavod za povijesne znanosti HAZU u Zaru;2012, Vol. 54, p221
Training of seamen was in the past based on empirical knowledge acquired during navigation, whilst the maritime law norms of those times, referred to in the statutes of our coastal and insular towns, included provisions relating to the professionalism of the crew only in the context of the...
- FRIENDS & FOLLOWERS. // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;1/26/2012, Issue 2989, p24
Several blog posts are presented which raises concerns on maritime passenger ship safety.
- Cruise ship safety push. Marks, Paul // New Scientist;1/21/2012, Vol. 213 Issue 2848, p4
The article reports that the British maritime trade union Nautilus International has concluded that the design of cruise ships carrying thousands of passengers needs to be re-examined following the fatal capsizing of the Costa Concordia on January 13, 2012.