ASHP/Association of Black Health-System Pharmacists Joint Leadership Award
- Understanding how to take medicine. Brown, A. // Current Health 2;Jan1990, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p25
Suggests important questions that should be asked of a doctor or pharmacist if a medicine is prescribed. INSET: Check-up for the medicine chest (breakdown of medicines....
- A century of medical miracles. Scott, G. // Current Health 2;Jan1992, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p4
Presents an overview of the 20th century's medical breakthroughs. Development of insulin; Conquest of infectious diseases with vaccines and antibiotics; Anesthesia; Prevention of shock during surgery; Heart-lung machine; Heart, kidney and other organ transplants; Coronary bypass surgery;...
- One vaccine--lucky kids. // Current Health 2;Jan1992, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p23
Reports on the development of a new vaccine that can inoculate a child against a dozen or more diseases with a single shot at birth. Using genetic engineering techniques, scientists in Massachusetts and New York created the multi-effect vaccine by adding foreign genes to the tuberculosis (TB)...
- The right drug at the right dose at the right time. Sommi Jr., R.W. // Current Health 2;Mar1992, Vol. 18 Issue 7, p21
Discusses the pharmacokinetic factors that determine how much of a drug (the dose) should be taken and how often (the regimen). The four basic pharmacokinetic factors called absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion; How long a drug is active in the body; Liquid, capsule and tablet...
- Learning the right mix of food and medicine. // Current Health 1;Dec89, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p18
Explains the importance of taking different medicines with or avoiding certain kinds of food. Importance of reading labels, following directions and asking questions; Commonsense rules.
- The world of sports medicine. // Current Health 1;Apr91, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p3
Describes how the field of sports medicine not only helps people to get well enough to play sports again, but also keeps people from getting hurt in the first place. How people in sports medicine help athletes; Rehabilitation; Growth of sports medicine. INSET: A tale of two athletes.;Safe...
- Country cures. Ebler, L. // Country Living;Feb1990, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p50
Recounts the author's memories of her grandmother's country cures for a variety of ailments. Homemade medicines; Salves; Storytelling.
- Remember your medicine. // Executive Health's Good Health Report;Jun92, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p3
Offers tips for remembering to take prescribed medication. Wrist watches with alarms; Small pocket timers; Drug reminder charts; One day dosage in a strip package; Prescription stickers on medication bottles with time circled; More.
- Medicine Is Heartbeat of Community. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;9/10/2001, Vol. 19 Issue 37, p4
Comments on the field of medicine as the heartbeat of community in the Grand Rapids, Michigan. Images that medicine is associated with; News about X-Rite Inc.; Anniversary of the Kent Council Medical Society; Accomplishments in the medical profession.