HIV treatment guidelines revised
- Persistent proviral DNA. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Nov98, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p871
Highlights a Dutch study which shows that cellular proviral HIV-1 DNA remains in patients despite of long-term antiretroviral therapy with reverse transcriptase inhibitors.
- Development of a genotyping flow sheet for appropriate antiretroviral therapy. James, Christopher W.; McNelis, Kelly C.; Szabo, Susan // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;8/1/2002, Vol. 59 Issue 15, p1415
Focuses on the development of a genotyping flow sheet for appropriate antiretroviral therapy. Strains of HIV resistant to antiretroviral therapy; Benefits from genotypic resistance testing.
- Clinical data marshalled to treat HIV. Clarke, Tom // Nature;6/19/2003, Vol. 423 Issue 6942, p791
Reports on the HIV Resistance Response Database Initiative (RDI), a database that identifies the best drug combinations to keep a patient's infection in check on the basis of genetics sequence of drug-resistant strains of the virus. Help for doctors in the treatment of HIV infections.
- Advancing Integration of HIV, STD, and Viral Hepatitis Services: State Perspectives. Whiticar, Peter; Liberti, Thomas // Public Health Reports;May/Jun2007 Supplement, Vol. 122, p91
The article discusses how to advance the integration of prevention services in public health programs for adults at risk for human immunodeficiency virus, sexually transmitted diseases, and viral hepatitis. It says that integration is based on the understanding that a risk behavior, such as...
- Rights-based achievements. // Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic: UNAIDS - 2004;1/1/2004, p123
The article presents the achievements of the right-based methods to the AIDS epidemic. This includes, enhancing public health outcomes which has led more people to seek and receive relevant information on HIV prevention. Another one on ensuring a participatory process which has improved the...
- Global Antiretroviral Therapy: The Hope Within Pandora's Box? Harris, Carol; Getaneh, Asqual; Zuniga, José M. // Einstein Journal of Biology & Medicine;2006, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p25
The article points out that while several antiretroviral distribution programs have been initiated, the development of guidelines for the treatment of HIV/AIDS remain a challenge. Much research is still needed regarding the epidemiology, response to antiretroviral therapy and resistance patterns...
- Responding to the public health consequences of the Ukraine crisis: an opportunity for global health diplomacy. Mackey, Tim K.; Strathdee, Steffanie A. // Journal of the International AIDS Society;2015, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p1
Introduction: Peace and stability in Eastern Europe is now at a crossroads with the rapidly deteriorating foreign policy crisis continuing to unfold in the Ukraine. However, largely overlooked in the context of other foreign policy and diplomatic priorities are the serious public health...
- How to beat HIV. Check Hayden, Erika // Nature;7/9/2015, Vol. 523 Issue 7559, p146
The article discusses efforts to eradicate the HIV virus and funding of such efforts as of mid-2015. It examines the clinical trial being undertaken in Kenya and Uganda known as Sustainable East Africa Research in Community Health (SEARCH) The article also discusses the concept of implementation...
- A big disease with a little name. // Nature;6/1/2011, Vol. 474 Issue 7349, p5
The author reflects on various studies supporting the concept of HIV treatment as preventive action. The author says that various researches have revealed improved treatment of HIV and newer strategies on preventing the spread of the disease. A research sponsored by U.S. National Institutes of...