ABA Mandates Law School Affirmative Action
- ABA house backs affirmative action. Podgers, James // ABA Journal;Oct95, Vol. 81 Issue 10, p18
Reports that the American Bar Association (ABA) expressed strong support for the continued use of affirmative action as a strategy for achieving their goal. Passage of a resolution regarding affirmative action; Highlights of the resolution; Denunciation of bias based upon race, sex, religion,...
- Affirmative action struggle. McMillion, Rhonda // ABA Journal;Jan1996, Vol. 82 Issue 1, p93
Focuses on the American Bar Association's (ABA) support for affirmative action programs. Background information; Supreme Court decision for the case of `Adarand Constructors Inc. v. Pena'; Role in equality programs; Implications; Expectations.
- Ensuring high-quality education. Stein, Robert A. // ABA Journal;Dec96, Vol. 82 Issue 12, p96
Focuses on the American Bar Association's law school accreditation program. Profile of the group's Accreditation Committee; Description of the accreditation process; Standard procedures.
- Accreditation proposal recognizes law school adjuncts. Long, Cynthia D. // Academe;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p9
Reports that proposed reforms in the American Bar Association's (ABA) accreditation process could bring recognition to the part-time faculty at law schools in the United States. Details on student to faculty ratio requirements; Controversy between the ABA and the Justice Department over consent...
- A travesty of law and the law schools. McCrea, C.H. // Las Vegas Business Press;2/19/96, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p4
Opinion. Urges the Nevada Supreme Court to abolish the requirement that bar candidates in Nevada must graduate from an American Bar Association-accredited law school. Petition of private, not-profit law school and Southern California-based Western State Law School to the Nevada Supreme Court...
- Proprietary law schools get ABA date extension. // American Bar Association Journal;Apr79, Vol. 65 Issue 4, p541
Reports that the American Bar Association (ABA) will extend its invitation to seek accreditation to profit-making law schools in the U.S. Variances from ABA accreditation standards; Key requirements for law school accreditation; Policy implications on law education.
- Accreditation on review. Reuben, Richard C. // ABA Journal;Oct95, Vol. 81 Issue 10, p107
Reports about the American Bar Association (ABA) accreditation process. Considerable number of participants in the 1995 annual meeting of the Section on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar; Launching of an antitrust investigation by the United States Department of Justice; Passage of a...
- Cutting through school daze. Gibeaut, John // ABA Journal;Jun97, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p100
Presents information on the first edition of `ABA Approved Law Schools,' a guidebook to the American Bar Association's (ABA) 180 accredited schools. Prospective law students as consumers; Bar passage rates for graduates of schools accredited by the ABA.
- Cartels and controls in legal training. Shepherd, George B. // Antitrust Bulletin;Summer2000, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p437
Demonstrates the monopoly power of the American Bar Association (ABA) accreditation system over the markets in the United States. Use of the law school accreditation system to suppress competition; Restriction of law practice to graduates from ABA-accredited law schools; Possibility of the bar...