S&P: Merger End Would Help AMR
- PROBLEMS STILL DELAY UNITED DEAL. Merrion, Paul // Crain's Chicago Business;03/12/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 11, p3
Discusses the concerns raised by state antitrust regulators in the United States regarding the proposed merger between United Airlines and US Airways. Concerns regarding the impact of the deal on competition in the airline industry; Sufficient concerns to continue an investigation and...
- UAL-US Air deal losing altitude as red ink flows. Merrion, Paul // Crain's Chicago Business;04/23/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 17, p3
Discusses the factors behind the deferment of United Airline's acquisition of US Airways. Rising production costs; Operating losses incurred by United Airlines; Impact of the slowdown in the economy of the United States on United Airline's and US Airways' revenues.
- Skies darken for United's US Air deal. Merrion, Paul // Crain's Chicago Business;10/09/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 42, p4
Discusses the merger of United Airlines Inc. the US Airways Group Inc. Stock value of U.S. Airways; Impact of the merger of the quality of service offered by the airlines; Political opposition to the merger; Support from states where US Airways has major operations.
- US Airways shareholders approve merger with United. Guadalupe-Fajardo, Evelyn // Caribbean Business;10/19/2000, Vol. 28 Issue 41, p44
Reports that more than 98% of US Airways' shareholders voted in favor of the proposed United Airlines-US Airways merger. Implications of the merger on the airlines' operations in Puerto Rico; Key remaining steps in the merger process; creation of a new-entrant carrier, called DC Air.
- The Plane Facts. Miller, Jeffrey R. // Travel Agent;07/10/2000, Vol. 300 Issue 6, p16
Comments on the proposed merger of air carriers US Airways Inc. and United Airlines Inc. Details of hearings in the United States Congress about the merger; Prosperity that well-managed carriers enjoyed under deregulation; Reasons why some airlines went out of business after deregulation.
- Senators Ask DOJ To Study UAL Merger. Michels, Jennifer // Travel Agent;05/21/2001, Vol. 304 Issue 3, p129
Focuses the issue related to the planned merger between United Airlines Inc. and US Airways Inc in the United States. Suggestions of senators to hire airline industry experts; Plan of seeking opinions from experts and economists.
- One less airline may mean more competition. Marks, Alexandra; Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;5/25/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 129, p1
Reports on the proposed merger of United Airlines, the nation's largest air carrier, and US Airways, the dominant East Coast carrier.
- The Air Merger Mania Debate Heats Up on Capitol Hill. Michels, Jennifer // Travel Agent;06/19/2000, Vol. 300 Issue 3, p6
Presents updates on the merger plans between United Airlines and US Airways in the United States as of June 19, 2000. Examination of the merger proposal by two committees in the House and an antitrust subcommittee in the Senate; Concessions that may be required for the merger to be approved.
- Consolidation Fears Could Ground United-US Airways Combination. Michels, Jennifer // Travel Agent;06/05/2000, Vol. 300 Issue 1, p2
Discusses the implications of the proposed merger of United Airlines and US Airways. Benefits for lawyers and investment bankers; Legislators and regulatory agencies' expected probe of the issue; Department of Justice's investigation of the antitrust implications of the deal.