Blood glucose test strips: options to reduce usage
- Case Study: A 62-Year-Old Man With “Brittle” Type 1 Diabetes. Unger, Jeff // Clinical Diabetes;Winter2002, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p37
Presents a case study on a diabetic patient in the U.S. Conduction of self-monitoring blood glucose on the patient; Development of hypoglycemia aggravating the situation; Analysis on the result of the insulin infusion therapy and glucose monitoring tests conducted.
- Managing diabetes at night. // South Asian Post;12/13/2012, p6
The article discusses how diabetes patients can prevent nocturnal hypoglycemia, that includes testing blood sugar levels before going to sleep at night and maintaining a proper balance of insulin before bed, and taking a glucose tablet if the test shows low blood sugar levels.
- Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose: The Basics. Benjamin, Evan M. // Clinical Diabetes;Winter2002, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p45
Discusses the use of self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG) therapy on treating diabetes in the U.S. Effectiveness of the method in preventing hypoglycemia; Function of SMBG in controlling blood sugar level; Use of SMBG data in modifying diabetes management regimen.
- Errata. // Diabetes Care;Sep2010, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p2129
Several corrections on various articles are presented including the cost-effectiveness of continuous glucose monitoring in type 1 diabetes, the impact of acute hypoglycemia on inflammatory and pro-atherothrombotic biomarkers in diabetics and healthy people, and the use of aspirin for preventing...
- Glycemic Control and Hypoglycemia. Perlmuter, Lawrence C.; Flanagan, Brian P.; Shah, Parinda H.; Singh, Sant P. // Diabetes Care;Oct2008, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p2072
The article discusses the link between glycemic control and the risk of hypoglycemia among diabetic patients. The author comments on a study by Musen et al. which concluded that despite many severe hypoglycemic events, there was no measurable decline in cognition over âˆ¼18 years. It notes...
- Glucose tester will lead to reduction in complications. Lewis, Colin // GP: General Practitioner;2/11/2002, p74
Features a blood sugar tester in Great Britain. Importance of glucose monitoring on diabetic control; Usefulness of the device on nocturnal hypoglycemia; Benefit of the technology on diabetics.
- Persistent Differences Among Centers Over 3 Years in Glycemic Control and Hypoglycemia in a Study of 3,805 Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes From the Hvidore Study Group. Danne, Thomas; Mortensen, Henrik B.; Hougaard, Philip; Lynggaard, Helle; Aanstoot, Henk-Jan; Chiarelli, Francesco; Daneman, Denis; Dorchy, Harry; Garandeau, Patrick; Greene, Stephen A.; Hoey, Hilary; Holl, Reinhard W.; Kaprio, Eero A.; Kocova, Mirjana; Martul, Pedro; Matsuura, Nobuo; Robertson, Kenneth J.; Schoenle, Eugen J.; Sovik, Oddmund; Swift, Peter G.F. // Diabetes Care;Aug2001, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p1342
Deals with a study which evaluated the differences among diabetes centers in glycemic control and hypoglycemia in several countries. Research design and methodology; Reproducibility of center differences in glycemic control; Differences among centers.
- A change for good may not be always good! An interesting case of recurrent hypoglycaemia. Panchani, Roopal; Goyal, Ashutosh; Varma, Tarun; Tripathi, Sudhir // Indian Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism;2013 Supplement, Vol. 17 Issue S1, pS310
Good control of plasma glucose levels always remains a desired goal for both diabetic patients and their physicians. However, unintended tight glucose control should always be alarming to the treating physician, although, it may seem to be a blessing to the patient. A downward trend in blood...
- Detection of Hypoglycemic Events with the FreeStyle NavigatorÂ® Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. Mcgarraugh, Geoffrey // Diabetes;Jun2007 Supplement 1, Vol. 56, pA110
The FreeStyle NavigatorÂ® Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CM) that includes a five-day sensor was evaluated for the detection of hypoglycemia in an in-clinic study versus a YSI reference using 58 subjects with type 1 diabetes. Approximately 212 days of CM glucose values were paired with...