DSM revision surrounded by controversy
- Psychiatrists at war over broadening mental illness definition. Aldhous, Peter // New Scientist;12/12/2009, Vol. 204 Issue 2738, p38
This article discusses the debate over the revised definition of mental illnesses in the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA). It highlights the claim made by retired psychiatrists Robert Spitzer and Allen Frances that...
- Diagnostic Validity and the Definition of Mental Disorder: A Program for Conceptually Advancing Psychiatry. Wakefield, Jerome C.; First, Michael B. // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Dec2013, Vol. 58 Issue 12, p653
The author discusses the journal Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), published by the American Psychiatric Association. He mentions that the DMS-III, included an elaborate definition of mental disorder which was influenced by the definitions put forward by the...
- International Perspectives on DSM-III: Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Shepherd, Michael // Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine;Jan1984, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p91
The article reviews the book "International Perspectives on DSM-III: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders," by R. L. Spitzer.
- The kids are not alright. Ronson, Jon // New Scientist;6/4/2011, Vol. 210 Issue 2815, p44
The article discusses the trend of diagnosing young children with bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression. Robert Spitzer, a psychiatrist and former editor of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), says childhood bipolar disorder is frequently misdiagnosed....
- A Swarm of Angry Shrinks. SEPKOWITZ, KENT // Newsweek;12/17/2012, Vol. 160 Issue 25, p5
The article discusses the American Psychiatric Association's release of version five of its "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual on Mental Disorders" (DSM) patient-categorization publication as of December 2012, focusing on several former DSM lead editors such as Allen Frances and Robert Spitzer...
- NECROLOG. // Fortean Times;Apr2016, Issue 339, p24
The article discusses the profiles and accomplishments of notable people in various fields. Topics covered include the profile of World Gut Barging Association president Binkie Braithwaite, the achievements and experiments of astronaut Edgar Mitchell, and the important role of psychiatrist...
- 39: Firestorm Over New Psychiatry Bible. McGOWAN, KAT // Discover;Jan/Feb2013, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p49
The article discusses the controversy over proposed revisions to the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM)" published by the American Psychiatric Association, "DSM-5," which opponents argue will increase the rates of misdiagnosis of psychiatric disorders.
- Mental Disorders Better Defined. M. K. // Popular Science;Jan2013, Vol. 282 Issue 1, p34
The article discusses revisions to a diagnostic guide published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA), titled "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders," which will be the first such revision in 12 years.
- CSJ writes position statement on the proposed DSM-5. D'Andrea, Michael // Counseling Today;Apr2012, Vol. 54 Issue 10, p66
The article reports on the position statement passed by the Counselors for Social Justice (CSJ) regarding the proposed revisions for the fifth version of the book "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" (DSM-5), dealing various issues including the empirical basis for the...