Effect of Coriandrum sativum, a common herbal medicine, on endocrine and reproductive organ structure and function
- Review: St. John's wort, ginkgo, saw palmetto, and kava may be effective for some conditions. Baime, Michael J. // ACP Journal Club;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 137 Issue 1, p25
Provides information on a study that examined the benefits and risks of commonly used herbal medicines. Data sources; Study selection; Main results; Conclusions.
- A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO Backyard Botanicals. Henry, Sarah // Health (Time Inc. Health);May99, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p83
Provides information on growing medicinal plants. Increase in the number of people using an herbal medication; How to use the plants.
- Brand-Name Herbal Products Used in Research. // HealthFacts;Jun99, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p6
Presents information on herbal products in the United States. Details on the problem received by physicians who attended a conference on botanical medicine; List of the branded products.
- Garden Variety Remedies. Grace, Heather // Harrowsmith Country Life (11908416);Nov/Dec98, Vol. 22 Issue 143, p34
Focuses on herbal remedies. Examples of herbal remedies; Reason people are taking a second look at household remedies; Example of how every component of a medicinal plant can be used to create a different remedy.
- Coastal herbs from Mexico. Miller, Molly // Mother Earth News;Feb/Mar98, Issue 166, p56
Provides information on various coastal herbs from Mexico which have medicinal properties. Red elephant tree or Bursera Hindsiana-Xoop INL; Elephant tree or Bursera Laxiflora-Xoop Caacol; Suharo or Carnegiea Gigantea-Mojepe.
- Using Herbal Remedies. Duke, James A. // Mother Earth News;Dec/Jan2003, Issue 195, p92
Comments that herbs can be safer and less expensive than conventional drugs. Reason for concluding that Americans are not necessarily getting the best medicine; Factor that drives the green lifestyle; Advice to benefit from using herbs. INSET: Spice for Your Life.
- BECOMING STEWARDS OF PLANTS, NOT POACHERS. Pritzker, Rachel // Meridians;Summer2002, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p6
Discusses herbal medicines. Distinction between herbal remedies and supplements; Process of wildcrafting; Organizations dedicated to preserving threatened medicinal plants.
- Herbal's essence. Goldman, Debra // Adweek Western Edition;12/07/98, Vol. 48 Issue 49, p58
Focuses on the popularity of herbal medicine. Trend for consumers to reject medicine from research and opt for herbal pharmacy; Herbal medicine as people's medicine; Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Compound in 1875 as one of the first successful advertisements for herbal medicine.
- Gotu Kola. Keville, Kathy // Better Nutrition;Jun2000, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p20
Discusses the popularity of gotu kola (Centella asiatica) as a medicinal herb. Reputation as a brain stimulant; Use of the plant's leaves in India to sharpen memory, focus the mind and enhance meditation; How compounds called triterpenoids build up collagen in the skin to strengthen it;...