Chicago's Daley Finishes Overhaul of School Leadership Team, Taps CEO
- It's back-to-school time. Strahler, Steven R. // Crain's Chicago Business;4/10/95, Vol. 18 Issue 15, p3
Reports on Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley's proposals on the administration and finance of public schools in Chicago, Illinois. Call for a mayoral-appointed school board; Question on tax increase for the generation of revenues; School accountability commission; Proposals for charter schools and...
- Schools are the mayor's ultimate political risk. Green, Paul M. // Crain's Chicago Business;7/10/95, Vol. 18 Issue 28, p13
Opinion. Comments on the risks faced by Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley in assuming control of the city's public school system. Impact of education reforms on school performance; Shift in the focus of the debate on public school problems.
- City Hall nears school chief pick. // Crain's Chicago Business;6/5/95, Vol. 18 Issue 23, p46
Speculates on the choices of Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley for new positions in the Chicago Public Schools board. Gery Chico as possible president of the school board.
- Keeping school reform on the move is Daley's job. // Crain's Chicago Business;06/04/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 23, p10
Comments on the capacity of Mayor Richard Daley's administration to implement reforms for the public school system in Chicago, Ililnois. Concerns over the budgetary woes that will affect the system; Questions on Daley's ability to resolve differences with a confrontational teachers' union.
- Chicago `superboard' negotiates teacher pact, pares budget. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;9/6/95, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p10
Reports on the moves of the board appointed by Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley to run the Chicago public schools. Includes negotiation of a teacher contract; Restoration of financial stability; Launch of plans to eliminate waste and corruption; Praise from various sectors; Possibility of...
- Chi. school deal? It's in Pate's hands. // Crain's Chicago Business;8/30/93, Vol. 16 Issue 35, p1
Speculates on the Senate's approval of changes for a Chicago Public Schools financing plan announced by Mayor Richard Daley. Schedule for General Assembly; Senate Republicans' attempt to scale back the borrowing package; Need for the easing of several state restrictions; Plan's dependence on...
- School debt rescue is only remaining option. // Crain's Chicago Business;8/30/93, Vol. 16 Issue 35, p12
Opinion. Advances Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's bonding plan as a politically realistic option for opening public schools in 1993. Closing of the Board of Education's budget gap; School Finance Authority's (SFA) issuance of 14-year bonds backed by local property taxes; Daley's pressure on the...
- Should the mayor control IPS. Lenkowsky, Leslie // Indianapolis Business Journal;10/27/97, Vol. 18 Issue 32, p7
Questions the authority of Mayor Richard M. Daley in controlling Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) Board of Commissioners given by the Illinois legislature. Series of controversial steps taken by the group of school trustees and the city's former CFO in charge of running the system; Issue on...
- The real test begins for Daley school team. Scott, Chris // Crain's Chicago Business;7/3/95, Vol. 18 Issue 27, p6
Presents the appointees to Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's Chicago Public Schools management team. State of the public education system in Chicago, Illinois.