Charter Schools Need Tools to Compete, Senator Says
- School Loans. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/2/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31710, p35
Reports on the plans of Westlake, Texas officials to raise loan of $200,000 for its charter school Westlake Academy for start-up operational costs. Failure of the city to draw bidders for sale of $12.4 million of certificates of participation in January 2002.
- Charter Schools Emerging As CRA-Qualified Niche. Thompson, Laura K. // American Banker;3/20/2001, Vol. 166 Issue 54, p1
Discusses the emergence of charter schools as qualified niches for Community Reinvestment Act loans in the United States. Increase in the number of banks, thrifts and credit unions financing charter schools' start-up costs; Expected increase of lending opportunities in the sector; Expectation...
- House members question charter school access to federal funds. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;09/24/97, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p24
Reports on the skepticism of US Congress members about the access rights of charter school directors to federal funding for at-risk and disabled children. US Representative Frank Riggs' concerns over the limited access of schools to federal programs; Reasons for the inability to directly...
- Texas Charter Schools' Poor Grades Draw State Scrutiny. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;09/26/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30983, p30
Reports that charter school movements in Texas has come under close scrutiny after state education officials found that many of the schools have suffered from poor financial management, and outright fraud. Bad publicity that some charter schools have received; Positive factors cited by Moody's...
- Charter schools: The smiling face of disinvestment. Molnar, Alex // Educational Leadership;Oct96, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p9
Looks into the adequacy of long-term financing for charter schools in the United States. Types of charter school advocates according to Tom Watkins, director of the Detroit Center for Charter Schools in Michigan; Background on the passage of charter school laws; Issues on competition among...
- Audit: Financial Problems, Lack of Oversight Hurt Arizona Charter Schools. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;8/14/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31699, p4
Reports on the financial problems suffered by chartered schools in Arizona. Lack of oversight from the state board; Sources of revenue for the chartered schools; Purpose behind the establishment of chartered schools.
- Young charter movement at risk? Davis, Andrea Muirragui // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/28/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p3
Reports on the reduction of charter schools applications in Indiana. Impact of the reduction of funding on application; Receipt of charters of tuition support payments from the state based on enrollment; Suggestion of lawmakers to limit the number of charter schools.
- Under new budget, charter schools cash in. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;10/30/96, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p22
Makes observations concerning financial issues concerning charter schools in the United States. Support of efforts to establish independent public schools built around a set of academic goals; Cash flow problems of charter schools; Increase in federal charter school program funding.
- Voters in Two States Endorse Charter Schools. // Electronic Education Report;11/12/2012, Vol. 19 Issue 22, p2
The article reports on the endorsement on the creation of charter schools given by voters from Georgia and Washington and on the tax hike to prevent almost $6 million in education cuts voted by California voters. It notes that a ballot proposal for the establishment of a state commission to...