Transborder Data Flows in the Internet Era: Privacy or Control?
- Administration supports guards on Web privacy. Jerome, Sara // Hill;3/17/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 37, p16
The article reports that the U.S. Congress is being pressured by the administration of President Barack Obama to pass online privacy legislation in 2011.
- Cookies Can Byte Back. Seelig, Fred // Grand Rapids Business Journal;07/06/99, Vol. 17 Issue 27, pB3
Focuses on the privacy and security of releasing personal information in the Internet. Security of credit card numbers; Advantages and disadvantages of the Internet; Collection of data in the form of computer subroutine called cookies; Uses of the cookies; Privacy policies of Internet Service...
- California Establishes Privacy Enforcement and Protection Unit. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2012 Q3, Special section p1
The article reports that California has established a Privacy Enforcement and Protection Unit. The Privacy Unit is reportedly meant to enforce privacy laws that will govern businesses that collect personal information about residents of the state. It will be headquartered at the eCrime Unit of...
- EU data-privacy laws bog down U.S. firms. Messmer, Ellen // Network World;12/17/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 51, p8
Reports that data privacy laws in the European Union are negatively affecting multinational firms that handle employee and customer data in Europe. Requirement for companies to disclose how marketing, human resources, financial and health care data they collect is being warehoused, processed or...
- Should Congress pass legislation to set federal standards for privacy online? Pitofsky, Robert; Lesser, Jill // Congressional Digest;Feb2000, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p47
Opposes legislation in the United States Congress that will set federal standards concerning privacy issues in the Internet. Initiatives by the online commerce industry towards self-regulation; Standards set by members of Online Privacy Alliance, a group dedicated to promoting privacy online;...
- Are you being watched? Aspatore, Jonathan R.; Ellis IV, John W. // Black Enterprise;Aug99, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p40
Focuses on the issue of privacy on the Internet. How a Web site gathers information about its visitors; Efforts of lawmakers in the United States to protect consumer's privacy online; Suggestion to increase privacy on the Internet. INSET: PROTECTING YOURSELF ONLINE.
- New online privacy alliance puts out guidelines. Engelke, Roger // Electronic Design;09/14/98, Vol. 46 Issue 21, p25
Reports on the formation of Online Privacy Alliance, a coalition aimed to protect the online privacy of individuals. Guidelines released by the organization for online privacy; Implementation of privacy principles by members of the alliance.
- Legislating Privacy. Rezaee, Zabihollah; Brandon, Larry D. // Internal Auditor;Feb2001, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p37
Focuses on several laws and initiatives in the United States regarding the privacy of personal and financial information on the Internet. Provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Modernization Act of 1999; Information on the report `The 2000 Online Privacy Survey,' by the United States...
- Privacy matters the most when building online relationships. // Campaign (UK);3/14/2008, p14
The author reflects on the importance of privacy when it comes to online networking. He cites the new offerings of the three of the biggest internet companies, Phorm, Facebook Inc. and Yahoo! Inc., purportedly designed to provide more security and privacy in online networking. He further...