Addressing the migration of health professionals: the role of working conditions and educational placements
- Ugandan effort to constrain HIV spread hampered by systemic and cultural obstacles to male circumcision. Kagumire, Rosebell // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/18/2008, Vol. 179 Issue 11, p1119
The article reports that efforts in Uganda to prevent the spread of HIV infection is being hampered by systemic and cultural barriers to male circumcision. The government plans to introduce male circumcision as an HIV strategy. However, Uganda's circumcision rate among men between 14-49 years...
- What if we decided to take care of everyone who needed treatment? Workforce planning in Mozambique using simulation of demand for HIV/AIDS care. Hagopian, Amy; Micek, Mark A.; Vio, Ferruccio; Gimbel-Sherr, Kenneth; Montoya, Pablo // Human Resources for Health;2008, Vol. 6, Special section p1
Background: The growing AIDS epidemic in southern Africa is placing an increased strain on health systems, which are experiencing steadily rising patient loads. Health care systems are tackling the barriers to serving large populations in scaled-up operations. One of the most significant...
- Factors influencing uptake of voluntary counselling and testing services for HIV/AIDS in the Lower Manya Krobo Municipality (LMKM) in the Eastern Region of Ghana: a cross-sectional household survey. Apanga, Paschal A.; Akparibo, Robert; Awoonor-Williams, John K. // Journal of Health, Population & Nutrition;11/21/2015, Vol. 33, p1
Background:Voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) is one of the nine strategies recommended for prevention and control of HIV globally. In this study, we assessed the awareness and utilisation of VCT services among residents of the Lower Manya Krobo Municipality (LMKM) in the...
- A problem shared. Short, Clare // New Statesman;11/28/97, Vol. 126 Issue 4362, p24
Discusses the need for social solidarity as well as scientific advance to tackle HIV/AIDS. Estimated number of AIDS sufferers; Prohibitive cost of drug therapies; Need to make condoms available and affordable; Needed improvement of sex education.
- Mayors announce HIV/AIDS prevention grant program. // Nation's Health;Mar96, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p9
Reports that the US Conference for Mayors, in cooperation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has issued a call for proposals for its HIV/AIDS Prevention Grants Program. Program description; Contact information.
- 1990's: The decade of Aids mortality. Atwood, J. Brian // Vital Speeches of the Day;9/15/95, Vol. 61 Issue 23, p716
Presents a speech given by the administrator for United States Agency for International Development delivered before the Third USAID HIV/AIDS Prevention Conference in Washington, DC, on August 7, 1995, and dealing with the issue of the fight against HIV infections and AIDS.
- 2nd International Conference on AIDS in India, December 1999. Samuel, N.M. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p89
Details several recommended preventive measures for HIV and AIDS disease as stated on the second International Conference on AIDS on December 5-8, 1999 in Chennai, India.
- AIDS conference addresses African-American AIDS epidemic. Elder, Michaelyn C. // New York Amsterdam News;09/02/99, Vol. 90 Issue 36, p15
Reports on the highlights of the National HIV Prevention Conference held on August 29-September 1, 1999, in Atlanta, Georgia. Focus on five HIV/AIDS issues affecting the United States population; Disparity between the number of incidences of white and Afro-American infection and mortality;...
- Global AIDS pandemic wanes. Colbert, Chuck // Bay Area Reporter;11/29/2012, Vol. 42 Issue 48, p1
The article offers information the global community efforts to prevent HIV infections and reduce the cases of AIDS.