The impact of HIV/AIDS on human development in African countries
- Gender, HIV/AIDS, and Human Security in Africa. Tiessen, Rebecca; Parpart, Jane; Grant, Miriam // Canadian Journal of African Studies (Canadian Journal of African;2010, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p449
Using theoretical analysis and empirical findings from case studies in several African countries, the authors of this special issue adopt a feminist analysis of gender relations, HIV/AIDS, and human security in order to expand upon and deepen our understanding of health, development, and...
- Inequalities in life expectancy in Lithuania by level of education. Kalediene, Ramune; Petrauskiene, Jadvyga // Scandinavian Journal of Public Health;Mar2000, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p4
Examines educational inequalities in life expectancy of the Lithuanian population. Calculation of life tables by level of education; Comparison of life expectancies between people with university education and without; Impact of educational differentials on life expectancy.
- AIDS prevention: Africa's circumcision challenge. de Lange, Catherine // Nature;11/14/2013, Vol. 503 Issue 7475, p182
The article offers information on a health campaign aimed at circumcising millions of men in Africa For AIDS prevention. It reports that about three million men in the region have been circumcised by the World Health Organization, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS and the U.S....
- Promoting Public Awareness of HIV/AIDS in Africa: Follow-Up to a Pilot Study. Komolafe-Opadeji, Helen O. // Library Philosophy & Practice;Oct2008, p1
This is a follow-up report to a previous study which sought to promote public awareness of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Particular attention is given to the spread of the virus in Nigeria. The authors seek to verify if there had been an increase in the amount of press coverage of HIV/AIDS in the Nigerian...
- Africa's Madagascar Winning War Against AIDS. // Jet;1/14/2008, Vol. 113 Issue 1, p48
The article discusses the AIDS virus in Madagascar and what is being done to battle the disease. The author states that Madagascar is one of the poorest countries in the world and many of its citizens turn to prostitution for income. President Ravalomana publicly takes AIDS tests to help spread...
- Late diagnosis in HIV. // GP: General Practitioner;12/4/2009, p12
The article reports that around 7,298 new cases of HIV were diagnosed in Great Britain, where around 2,310 cases were diagnosed late, which left the patients with reduced life expectancy.
- HIV/AIDS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Lesotho;Feb2005, p7
Presents information on the HIV/AIDS situation in Lesotho as of February 2005. HIV/AIDS prevalence rate in the country; Projected increase in the rate of HIV/AIDS and its impact on life expectancy; Formation of the National AIDS Commission by the Government in 2003.
- HIV/AIDS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Lesotho;Nov2004, p5
Presents information on the HIV/AIDS situation in Lesotho as of November 2004. Prevalence rate; Projected increase in the HIV/AIDS rate through 2019 according to the United Nations; Life expectancy for men and women in 2001 according to the Lesotho Bureau of Statistics; Efforts of the...
- Health gap between educated and less educated Russians widens. Dobson, Roger // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);6/10/2006, Vol. 332 Issue 7554, p1350
The article discusses a report regarding life expectancy of 20-year-olds in Russia which was published in the "American Journal of Public Health." University educated men in Russia are expected to live 11 years longer than Russian men without secondary school educations. A graph depicting the...