Overcrowded Jail Blues
- Missouri high court ruling clears Deck for prison deal. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;04/27/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30628, p4
Reports on the Missouri Supreme Court's ruling which clears the municipal bond financing for the construction of a prison. Prison Site Inc.'s arguments against the project; Maturity and terms of the bonds; A.G. Edwards & Sons Inc.'s role in the bond deal.
- Texas prison officials look to bond deal for added space. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;09/09/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30226, p31
Reports on the plans of Texas prison officials to sell $143 million worth of bonds late in 1997 to finance new prison beds. Issuance of bonds under leftover general obligation authority granted by voters to the state in 1991 and 1993; Necessary approvals needed before the bond deal can proceed;...
- New Mexico Town Finds The Formula for a Public-Private Jail. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;12/28/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32539, Special section p14
The article reports on the presentation of the Bond Buyer's 2006 Southwest Deal of the Year award to Clayton, New Mexico for its issuance of jail project revenue bonds. The innovative structure of the deal was developed by the town of Clayton to build a public jail for lease to a private...
- Texas Lawmakers Debate Proposed $775M Prison Bond Issue. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;08/09/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30950, p40
Reports on the Texas Board of Criminal Justice's hold a meeting to discuss whether a bond issue will be necessary to keep up with the state's growing prison population. Budget proposal to be discussed during the 2001 state legislative session; Construction cost of the proposed project.
- SOUTHWEST Bond-Watch. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;02/20/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31080, p43
Presents news items concerning municipal bond activities in Southwestern States as of February 20, 2001. Cost-cutting move being implemented at the Maricopa County jail in Arizona; Provisions of a bill by House Speaker Shanbe Broadway in Arkansas that would overturn a voter-approved plan to use...
- S&P Drops Texas Jail Debt Outlook Over Pending Federal RFP. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/15/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32381, p52
The article reports on the revision of a pre-solicitation notice sent by the Federal Bureau of Prisons on May 12, 2006. The notice indicated the agency's intention to issue a request for proposals for facilities that could house about 7,000 federal inmates. Many of the inmates included in the...
- Northeast bond-watch. Meisler, Daniel; Kaplan, David; Hoffman, David; Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;06/22/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30419, p33
Summarizes news briefs about municipal bonds in Northeastern States as of June 22, 1998. Includes the possibility that a tax cut law in Delaware will change projections from the state Economic Financial Advisory Council; New Hampshire legislature's dilemma on whether or not to approve...
- Louisiana panel approves prison, coffee deal. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;09/23/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30484, p3
Reports that State Bond Commission of Louisiana has given its premilinary approval to bond financings for the state's four privately owned prison. Approval for ABN AMRO Inc. to underwrite up to 25% of taxable revenue bonds to raise proceeds for CFS of Jonesboro; Other items approved by the...
- Texas Prisons' Capacity Crunch Could Force Another Bid for Bonds. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;06/12/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30910, p40
Reports that the Texas prisons' capacity crunch could force another bid for municipal bonds. Texas Department of Criminal Justice's completion of the largest prison-building program in the United States; Insights from a Criminal Justice Policy Council report; Rehabilitation of nonviolent felons.