Ask the Biologist
- Super freaks. Sullivan, Mark T. // Outdoor Life;Sep96, Vol. 198 Issue 3, p64
Focuses on antler deformations in white-tailed deers. World record non-typical whitetails; Causes of antler deformation.
- Deer With Record Antlers DIES. Sutton, Keith // Cabela's Outfitter Journal;Apr2010, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p21
The article reports that the white-tailed deer called Sudden Impact, which was recorded as having the biggest antlers, died in late August 2009.
- RATTLIN' MAGIC. Wootters, John // Outdoor Life;Nov2000, Vol. 206 Issue 4, p50
Presents tips on antler rattling when hunting for white-tailed bucks. Approach to a rattling site; Method of rattling to reproduce the sounds of a battle between dominant bucks; Advice for rattling on public land.
- A Time for Bucks and Tines. // Audubon;May87, Vol. 89 Issue 3, p67
Features the antlers of white-tailed deer of North America. Antlers as the pride and glory of bucks; Solid bone composing the antlers; Increasing charge of the male hormone testosterone in the blood ripening the antlers and halting their growth, causing the blood supply to be cut off; Typical...
- Learning From Sheds. Weishun, Larry // Outdoor Life;Mar2001, Vol. 207 Issue 2, p38
Discusses the hunting advantages of studying the cast antlers of whitetail. How antler's size indicate the age of a whitetail; Descriptions of antler types; Advice on whitetail hunting. INSET: SHEDDING LIGHT ON ANTLERS.
- The Big-Buck Zones. McKean, Andrew // Outdoor Life;Sep2009, Vol. 216 Issue 8, p43
The article presents information related to trophy whitetails in the U.S. It has been confirmed by an analysis of records accepted within the last decade by the Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young clubs that the Midwest is the most consistent producer of trophy antlers. It is further reported...
- SCORE A B&H BUCK. Heavey, Bill // Field & Stream;Dec2015/Jan2016, Vol. 120 Issue 8, p118
An excerpt from a conversation between the author and his friend is presented which focuses on whitetail deer hunting and collection of deer antlers.
- "Inferior" Bucks: To Cull Or Not To Cull. Samuel, Dave // Whitetail Journal;Oct2010, p30
The article elaborates on the complexities and difficulties facing deer managers in deciding whether to cull or not to cull inferior bucks. According to the author, one of the complicating factor is the fact that yearlings that look inferior might well blossom into fantastic bucks when they get...
- The Spread Myth. Robb, Bob // Knight & Hale Ultimate Team Hunting;Fall2004, p16
Presents information on the animal trophy potential of deer that are not based in terms of the width of antlers. Key components of record-book score for mule deer; Use of antler spread or main beam length for non-typical mule deer; Factors that affect the chances of whitetails for book entry.