Houston Sees Flood Affect Public Works
- COSTLY HOUSTON FLOOD RAISES QUESTIONS ON BUILDING DESIGN. Hawk, Jeff // ENR: Engineering News-Record;06/25/2001, Vol. 246 Issue 25, p15
Reports on the discovery of flaws in the building design and construction of public structures in Houston, Texas following a tropical storm in June 2001. Amount of flood damage caused by the stormy; Construction company responsible for rebuilding; Efforts to clean up the city following the flood.
- Building A Better Cambridge. O'Riordan, Owen; Struzziery, John J. // Underground Construction;Jun2004, Vol. 59 Issue 6, p22
Discusses the programs and accomplishments of the Department of Public Works of Cambridge, Massachusetts. Stormwater runoff management; Sewer separation; Reconstruction of the drainage system; Control of flooding in residential and commercial areas; Environmental protection.
- Keeping flood threat in focus. // Corridor Business Journal;7/14/2014, Vol. 10 Issue 51, p17
The author reflects on the efforts of public works and street departments to keep the cities in Iowa safe from flooding like a flood control project, the redevelopment of Coralville's Fifth Street corridor, and the elevation of Dubuque Street.
- Gov. declares Hill Co. flood a disaster. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);4/25/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 17, p1
The article reports on Texas Governor Rick Perry's request to U.S. President George W. Bush to declare nine North Central Texas counties major disaster areas as a result of severe storms and flooding on March 29-31, 2007.
- Storm Surges in the Region of Western Alaska. Blier, Warren; Keefe, Stanley; Shaffer, Wilson A.; Kim, Sung C. // Monthly Weather Review;Dec97, Vol. 125 Issue 12, p3094
Within the period of the historical record there have been several occurrences of extensive damage from storm-surge-related coastal flooding in the region of Nome, Alaska. The most recent of these events, although by no means the most destructive, occurred in association with the storm of 5--6...
- April showers bring more than flowers. // Grand Rapids Family Magazine;Apr2010, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p11
The article reports on the various essential items suggested by Caroline Clunk of the American Red Cross of Greater Grand Rapids for facing the severe storms and flash flooding in Michigan during spring which include flash lights with extra-batteries, bottled water and battery operated radio.
- Californians pick up after one of worst storms of century. Stein, Loren // Christian Science Monitor;3/15/95, Vol. 87 Issue 75, p3
Describes the destruction caused by rain and floods in California in March 1995. Reasons for such frequent natural disasters in California.
- 1,000-Year Flood Paralyzes Texas Medical Center. Parson, Ellen // EC&M Electrical Construction & Maintenance;Sep2002, Vol. 101 Issue 9, p24
Focuses on the flood caused by tropical storm Allison in Houston, Texas. Effects of the flood on the facility operations at the Texas Medical Center; Details on the recovery efforts of contractors and engineers; Restoration of electrical and mechanical systems.
- Research Lost. Hill, Marcia J. // Dermatology Nursing;Oct2001, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p328
Describes the effect of the storm Allison in Houston, Texas in June 2001. Damage caused by flooding at the University of Texas Medical Center; Implication of the damage for medical scientific community.